PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 Sizer Question

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I just cleaned and oiled a used 450 I appropriated. I am used to using a Star, this is my first 450. I bought 2 new RCBS sizers from Midway, they were out of stock of Lyman. First off, the RCBS dies are a little rough on the OD compared to the Lyman dies and wouldnt fit in the 450 at all. I put the die in my lathe and polished it down so it would fit. I assume the bottom taper seats and seals in the 450 with the flange nut compressing it against the bottom taper. Seems like it is fit up ok now. I filled it with homemade Emmerits BP lube and started sizing. I am getting good fill on the lube groove with none leaking by on the nose. I am getting a lot of lube on the base of the boolits which seems to get worse if I dont wipe it clean every other cycle. I melted the lube and poured it into the 450, things were a little messy until the lube and sizer cooled off a bit. What am I doing wrong, or is this normal and I just have to wipe the bases off each boolit?

oneokie
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Is it a bevel base boolit? How many lube grooves? If a plain base, you may need to adjust the depth the boolit goes into the sizing die. Or you may need to plug the lower holes in the die body, similar to Star.

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Is it a bevel base boolit? How many lube grooves? If a plain base, you may need to adjust the depth the boolit goes into the sizing die. Or you may need to plug the lower holes in the die body, similar to Star.

This is that goofy looking Big Lube 200 gr 45 LC boolit. Plain base, single big lube groove. And stupid me, I didnt even bother to look at the holes, I thought they only had one set of holes. I am going to look right now.

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok, I think I got it figured out. Only one set of lube holes in the die, but I just sized a few more and they are coming out clean as a whistle. The sizer and lube had time to cool off and it is working much better. The lube is pretty soft, needs no heat at all. Bummer, I will have to let it sit for a while each time I pour it full. Anyone have ideas for a mold for the hollow lube sticks?
Thanks Oneokie, got my lazy butt off the couch to try it agian.

oneokie
03-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Do a search in the lube threads. There are several posts. One involves the use of 1" pvc for the outer mould, and 3/8" copper tubing for the core. Drill holes in a block of wood, set the tubing in the holes, pour, let cool, place in freezer, push lube out.

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
will do, thanks