PDA

View Full Version : My lucky day

snaggdit
03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Well, to start with, I needed to go to Duluth for a root canal. Thats not the lucky part. Since it was only a mile from Gander, I figured I would check out the primer/powder situation. I got the last 1000 SP and the last 1000 LP. They had NO SR. That still isn't the lucky part, although reading the posts lately I was feeling better. I asked to have the powder bin opened. I wanted a pound each of3031, Unique and Accurate #5 or #2. Nada. Then he said the 4 and 8 pound jugs were on the other end of the row. I said why not? I spotted a jug of Red Dot and it was alone but above a $69.99 price tag. I asked about the price and the guy asserted yes, it was $69.99. I have seen in my load books this would work interchangably with my normal pistol loads so at this point I said go for it. He took out an 8 pound jug. On the shelf it was in shadows so I though it was a 4. I headed for the checkout arguing with myself. I figured it had been placed in the wrong spot and it would ring up at the right price. When the cashier scanned it, I asked if it came up at $69.99. She said no, $129.99. I simply said "oh". She (on her own) picked up the phone and called for the gun department to do a price check. Here comes the lucky part. She got off the phone and said the guy told her it was $69.99 and she over-rode the price. I feel guilty now, but they did it themselves! Carma for the root canal?[smilie=1:

docone31
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you are going to be in Red Dot for a while. A couple grains here, a couple of grains there. Might even use a pound one day.
Way to go!!!!
So, there is a bright note to a root canal.

mikekj
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
It must have been the drugs.

snaggdit
03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Docone31, I get your meaning now. I looked up the loads and see it will take even less than my Accurate #2 per load. I was using Accurate #5 until that got hard to find locally. Now this powder will go even further! At a drop in velocity, though (due to pressure drop as boolit begins to move, I assume). What did I see the other day? Faster powder drops the POI? Seems at odds to each other. Boolit leaves the gun at a slower velocity but exits before a slower powder so recoil has less time to effect POI climbing? Can anyone help me wrap my mind around this?

Gun Junkie
03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Snaggdit,

Yeah, you're gonna pay for it. Red dot and green dot have always shot "dirty'' for me. Maybe you'll be lucky again and they will shoot clean for you, but be prepared.

There now that I've shown you will suffer, you can go on and use the powder without further guilt. [smilie=1:

As for your other question. I don't know about pressures so much but in a handgun a lower velocity causes a higher impact on target at handgun ranges because the boolit is in the barrel longer and therefore the muzzle is higher at exit time. muzzle rise seems to be more of a constant between higher and lower velocity loads.