PDA

View Full Version : p.p. for 38-55

chief3
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I need some advice on paper patching boolits for a 38-55 with a bore of .366 groove .375. It is a new barrel on an old Winchester action. No I did not ruin a collectors item, it was a wreck with only the action salvageable.
I am new to paper patching so I need all the help I can get. The molds I have all cast .376 to .379. The Lyman 375449 shoots well (2" @ 100 yds) but I want to try paper.

ktw
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Mine runs to larger dimensions than that, but

1) if you are shooting smokeless you'll probably want to patch to groove diameter (.375 in your case). Matthews says to start with a bullet a little over bore (.366-.367) and find a paper thickness that results in a final wrap of .375".

2) if you are shooting blackpowder, the standard advice is a soft alloy bullet wrapped to bore diameter (i.e. .366" in your case).

I have been using "Mead Academie Tracing Paper" available from Walmart or Office Max. This adds ~ .007" to the bare bullet with two wraps. I have a different tracing paper on a bulk roll that's a little thicker and adds .009" with two wraps.

You can sized the bullet in a standard sizer before or after wrapping, or change paper thickness, in order to tweak the finished size.

-ktw

docone31
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I might start by sizing to .368, then useing two wraps of lined notebook paper, or printer paper, size to .376. That would be with smokeless.
I have no clue with BP.
Starting load would be minimum jacketed load for the corresponding weight. I prefer 4895.

chief3
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks docone31 & kyw . I should have said I was using smokeless. Black works well with soft lead breech seated if you wipe after each shot. Lots of trouble but good accuracy.
Do I need a mold that casts less than .370 ? If so ,where do I find one?
I have never tried to size a boolit down .008 . can it be done?
Like I said before , I am new at this .

ktw
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
- They aren't very common but molds for the 9.3mm rifles are a nominal .366"
- LBT or Mountain molds will cut you a mold to any size you want.
- KAL Tool & Die (Red River Rick on this forum) offers a .369", adjustable length, smooth sided paper patch mold.

You can size down regular grease groove bullets from one of your current molds quite a bit. The Lee push through sizers should give you better results, as will doing it in a couple of steps (.002-.004 at a time). Buckshot on this forum or Lee Precision will make you a sizer in any size you want on request. Some size half way before patching and halfway after patching, but I personally haven't tried sizing to any appreciable degree after patching..

-ktw

Buckshot
03-19-2009, 02:01 AM
I need some advice on paper patching boolits for a 38-55 with a bore of .366 groove .375. It is a new barrel on an old Winchester action. No I did not ruin a collectors item, it was a wreck with only the action salvageable.
I am new to paper patching so I need all the help I can get. The molds I have all cast .376 to .379. The Lyman 375449 shoots well (2" @ 100 yds) but I want to try paper.

Like these? :-)

http://www.fototime.com/7ABF62D9CE640A0/standard.jpg

Actually I made a swage die to produce these slugs for a Uberti Hi-wall, but I also have a nice old M93 Marlin chambered 38-55 and have thought about shooting patched slugs from it. By juggleing the slug size before patching, different paper thicknesses and/or sizing AFTER patching (as some here have suggested) you almost have an infinate number of final OD's.

As ktw suggested, using a 9.3/.366" slug could be a good way to go. If it does drop from the mould @ .366" you're needing about .009" in patch thickness. Using a 16 lb paper of about .0025" thickness would be perfect, as when dry and shrunk on it should add almost exactly .009".

If the slug drops larger use a thinner paper or size it down a couple thousandths then patch. However, possibly your M94 will accept a loaded cartridge with a slug going .376" - .378"? My Uberti Hi-Wall has a .380" groove but will accept a cartridge like these above, which are .382" over the dried patch.

..............Buckshot

docone31
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Dang Dude!, those look great!
Nothing like seeing a classic wrap.

chief3
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Buckshot , those rounds are what I call real art.
I reread my original post and see that I didn't say my rifle was a highwall. I have been breech seating boolits in that rifle but I would sure hate to try that with a 94. I guess it could be done but I don't know how.
I sure am glad I found this site. Great stuff and plenty of good advice .

chief3
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Its been a long time since I posted anything about my attempts to paper patch boolits for my 38/55 highwall. Thats because it took all Summer to work out the alloy, paper, power type, & charge wgt. Plus learning to wrap those boolits.
It was worth it! Now shoot less than 2"@ 100yds.
My best results came with 4759 powder with AL-5 & unique almost as good. I used 9# onionskin and sized Lyman 375449 to 375 than after patching sized to .377. I use a filler of kapok (found an old life jacket) and it makes a big difference over no filler .
Thanks to all of you who offered advice. I am now a believer in pp boolits.