PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good homemade lube

ljshooter
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I need a homemade lube for cast 228gr LRN for my 45 1911. I wanted to know what some of you have personally used for pan lubing that is homemade and has shown little or no leading. Thanks for the help.

Firebricker
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Go to classics & stickies look at just the facts lube recipes. FB

spur0701
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty new but the first thing I started with was .45, the Lee TL452-230-RN. I've used only Johnson Paste Wax (JPW) but have had no issues or problems with leading. I've also just started some .40S&W, a Lee 401-175-TC that's not a "tumble lube" design but have used JPW on that one too and thoughI've only loaded a couple of hunred rounds and don't have the load shooting accurately yet I'm not having any leading issues. I like the fact that it's cheap and I can use it as is with out having to add anything else.

TAWILDCATT
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
get lees tumble lube.actuall I use it and dont size.
50/50 bees wax and johnsons with an amount of axel grease to make the right consistency.:coffee:[smilie=1:

madman
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
1+ for what FireBricker said. Also do a bullet lube search on google. Happy hunting.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
There are more good recipes around than little green apples. I myself started with Beeswax and Vaseline. Worked well enough up to moderate velocities, but had to vary the percent balance somewhat according to the seasonal temps; less vasoline when it was summer. Beeswax/Alox 50/50 works well, but you have to watch how much goes into the lube rings when there multiple ones or you get more smoke than you want and after a smidge of lube is on the muzzle it can start to crud up the gun. For the Lee 45-228RN in 45 you can do well with either of these if you are working with velocities between 750 and 900 fps. No leading. I've never used JPW, but many folks are reporting very good results with it. LLS

Slinger
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Why bother? You can get all the performance you want from commercial lubes. I just finished testing Lars and Jake's lubes. I ended up buying 10 sticks of Jake's Purple Ceresin cause it performed better in all my handguns.. He threw an extra in for free. At 1.65 a stick, it's not worth the hassle of making your own lube.

GabbyM
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Get some bees wax.
Some Allox from Jakes or Lars45.
A 1 1/2 quart slow cooker from China.

Mix 50/50.

the JPW is also a good option for a 45 acp. Maybe the best way to go. If you live in a hot climate where the lube may melt out the JPW offers stability over the soft lubes.

Note that one stick of lue will fill at least 500 45 caliber bullets. if you're using the Lee bullet. It has thin lube groves so you may get a thousand or more bullets lubed with one stick.