PDA

View Full Version : Help with a dilema.

223tenx
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I got a very good price on a Savage 110V in 22-250 at a local pawnshop with the thought of getting a 358 win. barrel for it. However, I shot it and it loves Sierra 60
gr. hpbt giving me sub minute groups at 100yds-thus the dilema- When you disturb the original barrel (like in changing barrels) will it be this accurate after it's re-barreled back to the original? Has anybody changed barrels and then changed back? What kind of accuracy did you get after the original was returned to the action? This same thing happened to me with a Rem 700 in 223 I bought off Gunbroker to re-barrel. I could cover 5 shots with a nickel at 100 yds and I couldn't bring myself to rebarrel it. It wasn't particularly fun to shoot so I sold it. I really like the Savage and I hate to ruin it's accuracy. Thanks,

rockrat
03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Don't know about the Savage, but I have a switch barrel XP-100 that would shoot just fine when I changed barrels.

Cap'n Morgan
03-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I understand the bench rest crowd swap barrels all the time, saving that precious "one hole barrel" for the perfect time & place.

pdawg_shooter
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I have 3 Savage actions and 7 barrels. I switch back and forth all the time. All you need is a barrel nut wrench and the right head space gauges. It takes about 10 minutes.

shooterg
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Send it to me and I'll return it when it no longer shoots well - then you won't have to feel any pangs about rebarreling !

S.R.Custom
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
... I really like the Savage and I hate to ruin it's accuracy. Thanks,

Not a problem. But just to keep the variables to a minimum, put some index/alignment marks on the original barrel & receiver so you can precisely re-acquire the previous headspace and chamber/bolt alignment, and torque the barrel to the same specs each time.

Your bigger problem --if there will be one-- will be achieving the same bedding each time you pull the stock off. I dunno your particular situation (free floated? pillar bedded? full length glass bedded? none at all?), but whatever you do, you want to try to disturb this as little as possible. And if there is any bedding under the chamber or barrel, this will make the index mark thing critical. And here too, when you re-torque the action screws down, do it as consistently as possible.