PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Boolits

Mtman314
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I've been looking at different products and have heard and read alot about sizing nose first seems to be the best way to size. I got a Lee catalog and am considering trying to use a Lee Reloader "C" press to do sizing and lubing. I wantg to do rifle boolits mainly. The sizing dies are reasonable and so is the press expense. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone this way and is willing to share your experience. Good or Bad. I am a bit leery about a C press, myself and usually the cheapest way isn't the best though it would help with the shoestring operation. I could also upgrade to an O press, I just never used anything Lee before.

trickyasafox
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
The lee push through sizers work well- I used them on 357 sized pistol bullets and 45 cal pistol bullets. Unless your making big changes in the bullet size, I don't think you'd need more than a c press to do the job.

ktw
03-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I use the Lee sizer dies in the little Lee Reloader Press (the C press they sell for around $20-25). Works fine. You won't need a heftier press just for bullet sizing.

The Lee push through dies are great for sizing, they don't lube at all. Lee suggests lubing with their liquid alox. You can also pan lube.

I prefer to check and lube rifle bullets in an RCBS sizer with a die around as cast diameter, then later size them down if need be for a particular rifle in the Lee push through dies. Or, if heat treating, size and check with the Lee push throughs, then lube after heat treating in the RCBS. You will find them handy to have around even if you do move up to a Lyman or RCBS sizer later.

-ktw

Bret4207
03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
I've been looking at different products and have heard and read alot about sizing nose first seems to be the best way to size. I got a Lee catalog and am considering trying to use a Lee Reloader "C" press to do sizing and lubing. I wantg to do rifle boolits mainly. The sizing dies are reasonable and so is the press expense. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone this way and is willing to share your experience. Good or Bad. I am a bit leery about a C press, myself and usually the cheapest way isn't the best though it would help with the shoestring operation. I could also upgrade to an O press, I just never used anything Lee before.

What other press do you have now? If you want another press then the little Lee will work as long as you aren't trying to do too much. Otherwise any press you can find for cheap will work fine.

docone31
03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I use my turret for reloading. I have designated my little Lee Classic for sizing.
Works real well.
I really size my paper patched castings. Some, from .314 to .308 in one pass.
Works real well.
I did bust my original toggle however. The steel one they send is great.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
A Lee handpress would be worth considering. It is moderately priced and can certainly do the job. An important feature is the portability and also the fact that it is very compact. It can go anywhere with you along with a bag or box of lubed bullets; the whole deal can fit into a GI ammo can. No bench mounting involved. Another "C"/bench press is ok if you need it, but that's your call. LLS

TAWILDCATT
03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
my mounting system.using elavator bolts to mount tools.[flat heads]