PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else automatically type "boolit" besides this site?

ghh3rd
03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Since I've been coming to this site I've found that I automatically type "boolit" everywhere, whether I'm on this site or not. Has this happened to you as well? I even noticed several instances of "boolit" on the Firing Line forum - perhaps from members of this site who have also posted on that site.

I'll be checking future editions of the Webster dictionary to see if it becomes a new word [smilie=1:

Randy

Bret4207
03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Guilty. Of course anywhere else the nazis immediately jump on you for it too.

Pete D.
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Nope. Not me. Too many years teaching English to allow myself the luxury of misspelling.
Pete

randyrat
03-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I sue Boolits for cst an bullets fr coper.....:rolleyes::kidding:
Pete, i had to do it.:-D

jonk
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Nope. Not me. Too many years teaching English to allow myself the luxury of misspelling.
Pete

Ditto. I don't teach English, but I do teach a language (German). The whole 'boolit' thing- well I get it but I still find it annoying. It isn't just 'boolit' either; also sillywet, soupcan (still don't know what that is unless a full wadcutter) etc. But for such a great bunch, I can deal with it. :wink:

felix
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
My son, fluent in Arabic, was hired for one summer by a University in Lebanon to teach slang to businessmen traveling to the US. Best example was the term "belly-up". Yes, we have our own slang on this board, and, hopefully it does not spread too far to other boards. "Thataway" you will know they got their education here. ... felix

DragoonDrake
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I was writing a mock proposal for one of my classes and am using firearm use. I get the paper back with boolits circled. The professor could not figure out what this was supposed to be.

madman
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Yup. Seen it in a few places and I have typed it also.

45nut
03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I was writing a mock proposal for one of my classes and am using firearm use. I get the paper back with boolits circled. The professor could not figure out what this was supposed to be.

That's priceless right there. :drinks: :castmine:

runfiverun
03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
i do it all the time, haven't been questioned on it.
they either know, or think i am an idiot who shoots lead in rifles,and huffs too many lead fumes.

BruceB
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Put me up against the wall with Pete and jonk.

I'm uncomfortable with "boolit", even though I DO use slang expressions from time-to-time.

There must be some wavering in my position though.....one of my co-workers was looking over my shoulder some time back while I was typing something here on CB...he asked. "Why do you sometimes use 'bullet', and other times spell it 'BOOLIT'???" No, I wasn't referring to jacketed ones, either.

Keep it up, guys; I must be weakening.

Gunslinger
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
When I first started reading on this forum, I couldn't figure out why the heck some of you spelled it boolits, and I was too ambarrassed to ask :roll:

I really like the fact that you spell it one way when you're talking about jacketeds and another way when you mean cast :coffee:

And now I do it too :-D

Hickory
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I use to work in an iron foundry, with quite a few mexicans (long time American Mexicans born here) And they would say Boolits all the time. So, that is not new to me. However, the term smelting is an improper term for reducing lead from a solid to a liquid.
Smelting is done to extract a mineral from ore. And I can live with smelting as well as melting.
Good site, good folks.:drinks:
Mark Twain once said that he never had much use for a person who could spell a word only one way.

GP100man
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
i`m guilty too , it`s easier to type out too.
never recieved any flak about it though.
& the only bullets i have are for rifles now!!!!

GP100man:castmine:

Riverrat
03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
To me, having our own "lingo" is part of the fun of this site!! I love all of the spelling quirks. It adds to the arcane feeling.

Ed

Blammer
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
but soupcan is spelled right... :)

and yea I catch myself spelling boolit elswhere

jforwel
03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Guilty, and I also use the term smelting to signify the difference between melting and cleaning dirty lead and casting boolits.

I see a few posts about the definition of smelting but I see it as a slang term on this site known and used by many.

jhrosier
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I used 'boolit' in a thread on the swiss rifles forum and the moderators edited my post to "correct" my error.
The thread was a protracted rant about the use of the word 'boolit' and what a bunch of uneducated hicks we are over here.
I was just poking them with a stick for fun.
They didn't think that it was funny at all.[smilie=1:
I've been throwed out of better places than that.

I have learned more, had more fun, made more friends, and swapped more stuff over here since I joined than in all of the other forums, combined.:drinks:

I spel boolits pritty gud to.

Jack

runfiveswife
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
i do it all the time, since i started coming here. but oh well all i use is cast anyway

hydraulic
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Cast Boolits is the only reason I own a computer. I don't like misspelled words, either, but I can live with it. Winnie and Remmi and shoty makes me grind my teeth.

Heavy lead
03-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I consider myself a good speller and try to use proper grammer, but darnit, I'm always typing in boolit mould instead of bullet mould in ebay, they tell me I'm spelling boolit wrong. The gall!

snaggdit
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
You mean boolit isn't the correct spelling and I have made it through all these years with no one correcting me? Shame on all of you! [smilie=1:

KYCaster
03-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Cast Boolits is the only reason I own a computer. I don't like misspelled words, either, but I can live with it. Winnie and Remmi and shoty makes me grind my teeth.

That really bugs me too....."I put a Loopy on my Winnie, 280 Remmie and harvested a mulie!" Kinda has a "ring" to it, doncha think????

Jerry

Ricochet
03-25-2009, 07:05 AM
I certainly agree with the folks who think "boolit" is silly, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I've gotten quite used to using it here, and have to think about typing "bullet" elsewhere.

gary0529
03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
"Boolits"= cast projectiles, pure and simple. Sort of like the secret handshake in the Lodge.

Now, not to hijack the thread but "if I do my part" gets my dander up- Really?? you have to do your part to get good groups??Who's a thunk it?

Just the ramblings of a mind slightly off the tracks.

Gary

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I myself use it, and am proud of doing so! When I go over to the other boards and post, they either know EXACTLY where I've been hanging out mostly, or that I'm too deep into the scene to understand my slang. Ok, they really think I'm a lead fume sniffing idiot....which in reality isn't real far from the truth. Though I do try to keep my temp under 700. Have any of you other guys noticed that you begin to wander off subject and into completely off topic subjects since you have begun to cast.... Think its the fumes?

kmag
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Boolits, Use that spelling lots of times when not on this forum. But, I misspell so many words that it is not noticed.

Capn Jack
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Cast Boolits as to Jacketed Bullets :???:

Makes sense to Me :drinks:

snuffy
03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Heck I do it on purpose! Use boolits to refer to cast projectiles I mean. Just hoping some grammar nazi will call me on it, then I get to copy and paste 45 nut's sig line on whatever forum I posted on. Most just drop the subject, figure I'm some kinda kook. So be it, I've been called worse.

Leadforbrains
03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I have actually mispelled the term boollits or is it boollets, or boolitts...... oh nevermind.

selmerfan
03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I sue Boolits for cst an bullets fr coper.....:rolleyes::kidding:
Pete, i had to do it.:-D

I'm a stickler on proper spelling and grammar, but yes, I do it, and I've had to explain this method of differentiation to the folks over at 24hourcampfire.com
Selmerfan

troy_mclure
03-27-2009, 10:03 PM
i use all kinds of internet slang, some times some army slang slips out too.
i started using boolit on other sites while lurking here.
mostly gbo, and tfl.

Charlie Sometimes
03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I think using "boolit" when refering to cast projectiles is an excellent way to promote this forum.
Yes, everyone knows where you get your edumacation (it's a continuing process), and who your real friends are!

hammerhead357
03-28-2009, 04:01 AM
I will admit that at first the boolit thing bothered me but I can live with it and have started using it. I have always used mould instead of mold. I think that EK always used it that way and also think that Wayne Gibbs of H & G did too...So I guess it's just what ever one can live with....Wes

qajaq59
03-28-2009, 05:50 AM
I don't use it because my fingers just automatically spell "bullet" and I'd have to stop and think to spell it otherwise.

Fire_stick
03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Not yet.

Ole
03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
The spell checker in my browser still hasn't learned that boolit is a real word.

Linstrum
04-18-2009, 11:54 PM
It has recently been discovered that the fumes created when lead-antimony alloy is heated in conjunction with certain materials, such as candle wax, pine tree rosin, saw dust, etc, that a very peculiar - - - no make that bizarre - - - type of intoxication can occur. It affects a very, very specific part of the brain, namely where the memory of how spelling the word "bultle", "blulet", "butlel" - - - -

DANG IT!!! How is that word spelled?

I know what I'm trying to say but I can't figure out the spelling of the word I'm talking about. You know, that thing we all cast in a mould out of lead-antimony alloy that is in the front of a cartridge that the powder gases push out the barrel? Yeah, that thing!

It is coming to me now after thinking about it here.

BOOLIT

Yup, I finally remembered how it is spelled.

Jeez! Imagine that! I was trying to spell it with a "U" in it. Somebody might yell at me for spelling it wrong if I put a "U", "E", and two "Ls" in it. Gotta be more careful.

Let that be a lesson to you about having proper ventillation while heating boolit alloy, you just may have happen to you what just happened to me and forget how "boolit" is spelled. Now, what was it I just started to say something about?

rl533

Railbuggy
04-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Guilty

Capn Jack
04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Linstrum, Linstrum,...... Didn't you used to teach Algbra at my school.[smilie=1:

lead_her_fly
04-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I like using "boolits" for my home made lead projectiles. If I buy them from someone else and they have a coating on them that is from a different type of metal, they are "bullets", pure and simple.

If you go to the Smith and Wesson forum though, get ready for a fight. The "English" teachers will "rap" your knuckles real good for using that euphemism.

Of course they leave you alone when you type these common mistakes: your for you're, there for their or they're, alot for a lot. So, just like some teachers I've had in the past, all things are not equal! ;)

oldhickory
04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I do it when I refer to cast boolits as opposed to jacketed, they get the idea eventually.

CastorRiver
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I love this group. I have learned more and laughed more often here than any other firearms-related group.

I didn't like boolits when I first came here but I have come to love it. If it offends you you need to cultivate your sense of humor.

This group motivated me to look up the correct pronunciation of antimony. It's Ant-tim-monee. I'm not going to tell you how I have mispronounced it for the last 50 years.

I suggest we refer to hollow-point cast boolits as boolettes. See, it has to do with male versus female, like in pipe fittings, if you get my drift. Man, those fumes are getting to me. I think Pat Marlin's World Famous California Flake Flux smells absolutely WONDERFUL when you combine it with hot lead.