PDA

View Full Version : lyman 45 fix

fordwannabe
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
HI GUYS, first lets start with I feel stupid for not being able to figure this out myself, but I am sure I will get the answer here. My lyman 45 has come to a stop asfar as lubing goes. It wont go in any more and I can't get the pressure disc(or whatever it is called)to back out it just spins and spins and spins. I tried sticking screwdrivers and such down between the tube and the disc...no good. Any ideas how to get this working again, and I assume I need a new disc. Thank you Tom

Echo
03-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Hmmm... I suppose that you are turning the jack screw in the 'Tighten' direction, clockwise, to raise the piston, and nothing happens, even after considerable turning. and it will take considerable turning to get the piston out. If this is what you are doing, then I have no idea - but I'm sure someone on this forum does.

oneokie
03-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Use a good light to look in the resevoir while turning the screw. If the disc is turning with the screw, someone with more knowledge than me will be along to help.

Patrick L
03-17-2009, 06:41 AM
It is possible the disk just unscrewed off the rod, esp. if the rod is a tad short and the disk is stuck in sticky lube. Try a length of hardware srore threaded rod the same thread size as the lubers, just longer. You may be able to "catch" it an pull it out.

high standard 40
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I had that issue with mine. The screw spins inside a plug at the bottom of the reservoir. The head of the screw broke off. It was discovered late one night when I was trying to complete a batch of bullets. No hope to acquire new parts anytime soon so I removed mine and welded the head of the screw back on the bolt and ground it back to the correct shape.
Works like a charm and I've had not further problem.

Charlie............

fordwannabe
03-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Guys for the responses but I got it. Amazing what a good nights sleep will do for ya. I looked at it when I got home tonight and it was so simple. Thanks Tom

Bret4207
03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks Guys for the responses but I got it. Amazing what a good nights sleep will do for ya. I looked at it when I got home tonight and it was so simple. Thanks Tom

So what was the problem?

Recluse
03-21-2009, 01:56 AM
So what was the problem?

Was wondering that myself.:confused:

:coffee:

jcwit
03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
We may never know.

Bill*
03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
dontcha hate that? I wanna know and I don't even have a Lyman 45. Now I wont get a good nights sleep:mrgreen:

HamGunner
03-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know what his problem was, but my pressure screw stripped out half way down the tube. It would screw back out and I have been using only the top half and refilling often. I was going to rethread the screw, but it was a 3/8 x 20 thread and that threading die is not easy to come by.

Last week I got on line and ordered a new pressure screw and pressure nut and O-rings and a few other spare parts from Lyman. Got the order pronto and shipping and prices are very fair. The new screw was a bit wider than the old one. It still would work in the old pressure nut, but it would not fit up in the bottom plug without enlarging the hole in the plug to just over 3/8". Apparently the new pressure screw has deeper threads. Probably will never strip out again.

Lyman's parts service is A-1.

MT Chambers
03-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Sometimes the disc w/2 o-rings is just not a tight fit and it will spin when you try to retract it, I tapped a hole in the top of mine and put in a roll pin that sticks up about 3/8". If the disc is spinning and not gripping/retracting, I can use a hollow tube or some such to hold it from spinning and it will then retract. All my RCBS machines and Lymans wear the roll pin/disc.

farshooter
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
HamGunner, I had the same problem, stripped the threads. I replaced the screw with 3/8 x 16 piece of thread rod. I welded a piece of 1/2 steel to its base and turned the base to 1/2 inch dia. x 1/8 inch thick using my lathe. I tapped the pressure plate to 3/8 x 16. Problem fixed.

Doc B