PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if i got zinc in my ingots.

par0thead151
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I did my first batch of smelting this past weekend and noticed a few unmelted zinc and steel WW & stick on WW''s.
i also used a thermometer, and when i let my buddy run the blast furnace to smelt the lead, he let it get too hot, about 760-780F on the RCBS thermometer.
I was casting today, my first time doing more than a dozen or so boolits. i noticed that it was fairly had to cut the spru(spelling?) off, however when at temp(700ish) and after a few batches of boolits were poured allowing the mold to heat up, i began to get non wavy or unfilled bullets.
does this mean my alloy is ok?
or will sizing a zinc filled bullet destroy my sizer?

Ole
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds to me like you need to get your mold hotter.

docone31
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about zinc. If there is some, dilute it with fresh lead. As far as the sizer is concerned, I use zinc in my melt and I have not noticed any unusual wear. When I down size for paper patching, I go from .314 to .308. So far, so good, and I have done a lot that way.
If you suspect zinc, and do not want it in the alloy, get your pot up to full heat, then lower it. The zinc will congeal as oatmeal on the top. Scoop it out.
What I did, was to slowly stir the oatmeal together, then scoop it out. There will be lead loss, and there will be zinc in the alloy, but the extra is removed. Diluteing that will make the zinc addition less noticeable.
What with the new lead laws, we might just have to learn how to make zinc castings that work anyway.

par0thead151
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
how come it is made out to be such a bad thing if adding the zinc is still workable?
i have read numerous times people say if you get even a little zinc in a pot, the whole batch is ruined.
i do indeed have the oatmeal garbage when i heat it up to 750ish
i guess i will chalk this up as a lesson learned, and to not rush the smelting, and control the heat source.
i suppose i can stll use this lead for casting buckshot correct?
that should have no adverse affect as it is in a wad, and not chambered in a barrel like 9mm is

docone31
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I have some zinc in my alloys. Before I knew it was the demon metal, I regularily used it.
Pardon the spelling, age being what it is.
I have not had issues with it. However, I did lower my temp and dump the excess zinc. I then made some ingots from my melt and added lead.
The biggest issue I had, was, my spout on my bottom pour got clogged. I paper patch so I did not notice any prime size differences on the rifle castings. My pistol castings just went well. Sized to fit the chambers they performed well.
I did not know zinc was bad untill I read it here also. I have been blindly dropping in wheel weight so I have probably had zinc all along.
They are lighter. I target shoot, so I am not sure how zinc performs on game. I suspect it is not desireable though.
I have used my zinc alloy in my 9mm, .357, and 45ACP.
It did ok.

mooman76
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Zink doesn't flow good and causes poor fill out. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on zink contamination. Other metals melt at a hotter temp too and you might be getting rid of tin and antimony. Work it awhile and see if it does ok.

par0thead151
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
well, i guess i will give it a try and see how they shoot once i get the tumble lube & sizer ordered.

carpetman
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
How do you tell you got zinc in your ingots? Just say "I got zinc in my ingots".

armyrat1970
03-17-2009, 08:46 AM
It would probably be hard to tell when pouring ingots. Easier to tell when casting your boolits as the zinc will cause the mold to not fill. Of course the smaller the zinc amount the less noticable. I clogged my bottom pour pot with zinc contaminated wheel weights and it was an experience to get it cleaned again. My mistake was smelting right in my pot. I have since bought a propane burner and will use an old cast iron pot I have had for years to do the smelting and then pour my ingots before putting them into the pot. If I get a little zinc contamination I know how to clean it again but I will keep my temps around 700f to smelt and remove any zinc or iron before I pour ingots.

Randall
03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Does someone have picture of what zinc looks like on top of lead they can post?

The Dove
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Carpet Man!

HAHAHAHAHA

The Dove

carpetman
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
I might add if you went to a senior citizen dance and told the old ladies" I got zinc in my ingot", you might stir up a lot of excitement.

armyrat1970
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
I might add if you went to a senior citizen dance and told the old ladies" I got zinc in my ingot", you might stir up a lot of excitement.

Senior citizen. I ain't no senior citizen!!!!:drinks: Well, not in mind anyway. But the body sure feels it from time to time. Maybe wouldn't mind stirring up a little excitment with some of the old ladies, as long as they are not that old.:)
I ain't dead yet!!!!

montana_charlie
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Just never let it be known if you have ink in your zingot...

madman
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
An old Buddy of my that was a Navy Seal. His moto" 8 to 80 and not over 24 hrs dead" That about cover all the girls.