PDA

View Full Version : I need a good lube

docone31
03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
The molds arrived, R.E.A.L molds from Lee. One in .45 cal, and one in .50 cal.
I have the pure lead in raw form. Roof boots from roofers I know.
Now, before I season the molds, and cast away,
What is a good home made lube?
They say to use Crisco.
Is adding beeswax a good addition? I will be useing a patch box.

jonk
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Well it depends. I find 50/50 beeswax/olive oil fine if I have some method of applying- such as pan lubing followed by a push through die. If applying with fingers, I just go straight crisco or TC bore butter. Adding a little beeswax to the crisco should do just fine but too much and it gets hard to apply and wipe with fingers.

docone31
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds good so far.
Good ole Crisco.

docone31
03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I am wondering,
Since I am loading the REAL casting from Lee, would there be an advantage to an overpowder wad?
I am thinking, I can pan lube the casting with my homemade lube, over an overpowder wad.
Anyone tried something like this?

357maximum
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I use an overpowder wad in ALL serious frontstuffer loads. 1/8 medium density felt from durofelt, and a 9/16 chikong gasket cutter are all you need. I use a dry wad, the lube is either on the conical or the patch.

Frank46
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Way back when at our local range there was an older gent (sounds like me) who used to shoot trapdoors, martini's, and other old rifles. All that gent used for a bullet lube was crisco. He shot mostly black powder. Lube his bullet, fill the case, load the bullet with one of the old winchester screw type loading tools and off he went. Had made a similar tool to do the same with the martini. Don't forget long island had a huge aircraft industery and there were literally hundreds of machinists employed by grumman, and fairchild just to name a few. Think republic was another company. Lotta lunch box jobs went home that way. Last time I was up there all the old buildings were empty, most if not all the machine tools gone at giveaway prices. i knew one firm that had at least a dozen lathes in the back room as i got to see them. They came from one of the auctions.The owner would buy up what he could get, make any repairs and sell the lathes. Sad to say long islands economy took a serious blow when they lost a bunch of aircraft contracts and a lot of work went to boeing.I had a cousin who would bid on machine tools and tooling for his company. They made printing presses. They'd buy what they wanted and if surplus to their needs, stuff would be junked. His basement had at least two large lathes, a bridgeport milling machine and a surface grinder. Think he made more money on side jobs than he did working. Frank

docone31
03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
So, an overpowder wad.
That sounds like a plan. I do plan on serious front stuffing.
sounds like a plan.
Crisco is readily available.

boommer
03-17-2009, 11:49 PM
over powder card is used BCRP to keep lube from migrating to the powder and to contain grease cookies it dose not protect the base of the bullet. bee'swax olive oil works well there are others. There is no reason for a card or felt in front stuffer I have found ! But they sell it.

357maximum
03-28-2009, 02:19 AM
over powder card is used BCRP to keep lube from migrating to the powder and to contain grease cookies it dose not protect the base of the bullet. bee'swax olive oil works well there are others. There is no reason for a card or felt in front stuffer I have found ! But they sell it.

I make my own felts and they give me slightly smaller groups...all the reason I need...to each their own though.

leftiye
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
They (wads) protect the base of the boolit from deformation, and if a felt wad saturated in grease or lube (I use natural lube 1000), they prevent gas cutting of the boolit too. Loads must sometimes be a little hotter to bump up the boolit when the wads are used. You an apply lube (oil) to the barrel ahead of the boolit, and ferget lubing the boolit, too.