PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell what kind of handles these are?

ironhat
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Total newbie here. So new that when I ordered Lyman moulds I didn't order any handles. When I saw what they go for new I nearly passed out. So did my wife who feels that I'm already over budget on this new hobby.
I saw some handles on Ebay but the seller knows nothing about whether the handles are for doubles or quads. Is there a way to tell by just looking at them? Here's (http://tinyurl.com/dcostx) the Ebay link if you think that you can help. There are a few on that page. If you end up buying them out from under me it's all OK. I've gotta learn.

TIA

Firebricker
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
lyman double cavity moulds take their small handles. Four cavitys take their large nutcracker style. Check here on site think theres a guy that makes them. FB

Firebricker
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
should have checked before post. Go to castpics click member products then Red River Rick.
You will probably never find handles on e-bay for less than you can buy them new. FB

Pepe Ray
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Lee Gang mould handles will fit or can be modified to fit allmost any mould.
I qualified that because of unknown exceptions. And you cant beat the price from any dealer.
Pepe Ray

anachronism
03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Those are the old style handles & there were 2 sizes of them, small handles fit single cavity moulds only, & this is dependent on if the moulds are cut on the small blocks. 12 ga. moulds, for example are cut on large blocks. Double cavity moulds use large handles in the older style. All new Lyman moulds appear to be cut from the large blocks, so the newer ones should use the same handles. There are also 4 cavity handles which are large, cumbersome, ungainly things that appear to be made in 3 pieces.

Dale53
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Lyman's new handles for four cavity moulds have a new design. They work like their two cavity handles.

Dale53

GLL
03-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Make your wife happy by buying the $13.00 Lee 6-cavity handles !

Jerry

Gerry N.
03-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Make your wife happy by buying the $13.00 Lee 6-cavity handles !

Jerry

What Jerry said.

Go to www.midwayarms.com they have the best prices and customer service. The Lee six cav. mold handles will work fine with Lyman molds.

single and douvle cavity Lee handles are semi-permantly attatched to the molds, never intended to be taken off. Although my attitude toward manufactured items has always been: "If they got it together, It'll damn well come apart."

Gerry N.