PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Arizona

azcoyhunter
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I will be going to see my inlaws next week, and they are in Tucson AZ.

While I am there, I would like to do some shopping.

Is there a good gun store that wold have primers/cases?

Is there a good place to acquire some lead?

Thanks for any info.

Echo
03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
In a word, no. At least, not that I know of. There is a SW, but it is about as close to you at home as it is to me - far NW corner of Tucson. Then there is Second Amendment Sports - they charge $3.95 for a deck of primers, and powder runs $25 and up. Cash Box may havesome stuff, but I haven't been in there for a few months, so IDK. And the gun show we had this past weekend had NO primers or powder.

Others are welcome to chime in - if they know of somewher, I will learn something.

azcoyhunter
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Echo,

What happened to Jensen's?

Do you know the address/Phone Number to Secone Amendment Sports?

I can look in my In law's Phone book when I get there, but was hoping to plan some of my trip to your fair city.

Thanks

ACH

August
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
2nd amendment store is in the old Jensen's shop on Pima.

If you're coming through Phoenix, you'll likely find what you need at Dillon's.

Jensen's finally succumbed after years of mismanagement and lousy customer service. Not the original Jensens by that time. Second Amendment is an entirely new company (out of California) and is working hard to be a competent shop. Unfortunately, none of the employees knows much about gunz, shooting, or reloading....

azcoyhunter
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks August,

I have been to the old Jensen's store but it has been years.

ACH

jdowney
03-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I've not been impressed with Second Amendment Sports.... Too much new stuff, not enough weird old guns (like Jensens had sometimes). Seem to have a good inventory of guns and ammo, never looked for powder there though.

Murphy's seemed to have lots of ammo and powder when I was last there (January), his prices are about in line with places like Sportsmans Warehouse, just better stocked - he's probably got a decent distributor. Has 7.62x51 and 7.5 Swiss ammo on the shelf. This is now the store with the best used selection I'd say.

West of the Pecos is long gone, as is Jerry's Guns.

Frontier is still there, Grant and Country Club. Nice guy, very small dusty shop (guns are clean though :mrgreen:). Made a couple good trades with him over the years. Well worth a look.

There's probably a couple new ones since I lived there....

One of the guys at work was telling me about a pawn shop on Craycroft near the base. He said that's where he always bought powder and stuff.

As to lead, no clue... maybe the big recycler at Miracle Mile and I-10, maybe not. Most of the other recyclers I knew closed in the last 5 years.

Wheel weights, well, don't bother with Discount Tire, they're one with corporate lawyers saying no. I've had good luck with Big O tires in NM, maybe the same over in AZ. You could try Jack Furrier's too, they aren't too huge yet maybe.

If only I'd known about casting 20 years ago - I knew the owner of El Campo Tire slightly! Could have been swimming in damn WW's!!!

LAcaster
03-16-2009, 11:43 PM
If you cant find a gunshop with the components you need try a relaxing evening watching the sunset reflect off the mountains at Catalina St park north of town I camped there back in 2001 and it was an enjoyable view. Woke up the next morning and rolled up the tent to find a hundred scorpions under it. Had a roadrunner walk up to the showers with me that morning. Quite the unusual place.

Slowpoke
03-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Is John's still in Business?

I know John Passed on but when I left that part of the world, his wife and sons were carrying on with the business.

They used to be the biggest supplier of reloading supplies in the SW.

good luck

Echo
03-17-2009, 01:07 AM
John's is no longer in business. I bought a lot of stuff from him years ago, but...

Jerry was a hard case - I went in there once and wasn't welcomed the way I expected an owner who was looking for customers to do - so I never went back. I think he got shot in his store.

The pawn shop on Craycroft north of DMAFB is the Cash Box - they have occasionally had something I wanted, and are fairly friendly and knowledgeable.

+1 on 2nd Amendment. Bob Jensen was a good guy, a competitive shooter, but the place went bankrupt due to - well, I don't know for sure, so I won't publish a rumor.

And Frontier IS a good place, small, even SMALL, and crowded, but good guys. Haven't been there in over a year.

Slowpoke
03-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Was Jerry's the one on E. 22nd who had the collection of SW revolvers on the wall?

If so, I got the same feeling and did the same.

There was a little shop around FT Lowell and Dodge, I used to trade there quite a bit.

The owner used to tell a lot of gun tales, one time he told me of reloading for his 460 Weatherby and getting hang fires and how much fun it was waiting for the bang, I had bad dreams for a week after that.

good luck

August
03-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I went into 2nd Amendment sports today. They had a pretty good selection of powder -- expensive, however. They had Winchester ball powders, which have been particularly hard to find around here.

JIMinPHX
03-19-2009, 02:21 AM
If you pass through Phoenix, it might be worth stopping in at Randall's on the south side of Olive, just east of 51st Ave.