PDA

View Full Version : Ok, need some help here with 45/70 Marlin Min/Max OAL

Namerifrats
03-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Ok, so I have a problem. I bought a Marlin 1895 45/70 Gov (1970's model) rifle from a guy a while back. Never fired it, and don't really know anything about leverguns. So I also bought a Lee 450gr NGC Mould to cast up some bullets for it. Well, I use the Lee load manual 2nd edition. No data for a 450 grain NGC bullet, goes from 405-475gr lead bullets. My bullets are around 455grs lubed. So I'm working off of the higher weight, 475gr data. Using A-2015 powder, I decide to load up 10 test rounds 41 and 42 grains of powder, 5 of each.

So here comes my problem. I look at the load manual's MINIMUM OAL. It says 2.725 MIN OAL for A-2015 and a 475gr lead bullet. I wasn't near the max load, and the bullet is a good bit lighter. So when I seated my bullets, I measured them and they were all 2.686 in length after being crimped. So I get done, and decide to test one round to see how that bullet would chamber. Feed one round into the load slot, open the lever, and jam. I look into the action and sure enough, the bullet isn't clearing the magazine completely. So I work at it with a small screwdriver a few minutes trying to work the round out. Not knowing anything about leverguns, and not having a book, I decide to stop messing with it before I ending up setting the round off by accident with the screw driver. I go online and find a owners manual for the Marlin leverguns. Read how to remove the bolt, so I done that and got my cartridge out and the rifle reassembled. Then I noticed in the manual, that the MAX OAL for the 45/70 is 2.55". Now whats going on there? How can I load the rounds by the load manual then the Min OAL won't chamber in the gun? Guess I'll be pulling those 10 bullets tomorrow. Isn't it unsafe pressure wise to seat the bullets deeper than the load manual states?

EDIT: So I searched and pulled up an older topic about this from 2006. I may just leave these loaded and fire them as singles through the gate. Still wonder about the pressure issues of seating deeper. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Hullo Namer, Ok you have a couple of problems, 1st you have to make sure you are using loading data for the 45/70 lever action, most load data is broken down to, older guns-trap door, 1886 winnie & 1895 marlin, single shots- ruger #1 or similar. Be careful when choosing your loads, the Lyman hand book is a fair guide for cast boolits in these rifles.

2nd, As you found out the max OAL for the marlin lever is 2.55", the OAl you referred to is for a single shot rifle with a longer throat. It will not work through the lever action, the boolit is seated out to far for the feed mechanism of the marlin.

3rd, you can use the longer boolits if you seat them deeper in the case and watch for pressure signs as you increase your load.

4: IMHO, you would be better served buying a mold for a boolit intended to shoot in the levers. LEE, Lyman, RCBS, and Ranch Dog make boolit molds for 300-425gr boolits that have the crimp grove in the right place for the OAL in levers.[smilie=1

Ranch Dog makes a 350 and a 425, the 425 is in stock if you like the larger boolit.
It works great and is designed for the marlin and it cost is $26.00, their site also has load data for the marlin with their boolits.

Hope this helps, good luck

jack19512
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Also, if you are not sure about the cartridge loading because of length load only one round at a time to try, not 10. Makes things a little simpler if they are too long and won't load.

mpmarty
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Some suggestions:
1. Make sure you only use bullets with a large flat meplat
2. Maximum oal for the 1895 is 2.570 anything longer won't function.
3. The loads you have assembled should be pulled and the powder dumped, then consult a current load manual (some are available online from various powder companies) and be sure the minimum oal is at least less than 2.57" then use the starting loads and work up until either the pressure or the recoil are sufficient for your needs.

1895s are wonderful BFGs and a lot of fun to use. I've had two of them and they are easy to carry and pack a very impressive punch for hunting at reasonable ranges.

Namerifrats
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys! To answer a couple of questions, I was using data for 45/70 Model 95 Lever Actions. The bullet mould is the-

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-450-F 45-70 Government (457 Diameter) 450 Grain Flat Nose Item Number-121901 at Midway

I will pull these loads and probably just look into getting a mould with a lighter bullet like a 340gr FN. I only cast approx 180 of these 450 gr bullets and lubed them with Carnauba Red. I'll see if I can't find some "new" load data for them. I'd hate to just melt them all back down.

jack19512
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
My Marlin 1895 CB 45/70 really likes the Lee 405gr. and 340 gr. boolit. Both are very accurate. I would rather use the 340 gr. because it takes less lead to make, it should be good for anything I have in mind to hunt, and should be easier on the shoulder I would think. But, the 405 gr. boolit chambers so well.

Namerifrats
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I ordered the Lee 340gr mould from Midway about an hour ago. I may get the 405gr mould later on.