PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Brass & Gunshow

Jeffreytooker
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I went to the gunshow today. I found two good deals and a So-So deal.

The first good deal was a guy who had 300 rds. of Speer 30-30 Win unprimed unfired brass for $9.00. With what I already have that will be a lifetime supply for my 788 30-30. My pardner wants to go over in the west county and hunt feral pigs. I do not think the country is open enough to shoot over about 150 yds. I just might try Cast boolits. The brass has some stains on it so I will clean prep and polish it. Then I will seal it in a hot ammo can. It will be there when I need it. Good winter project next year.

Second good deal was a 50 cal ammo can full of 30-06 brass. Some fired some not. The price was $15.00 including the can which was a good can. Trivia question: How many rounds of 30-06 brass does it take to fill a 50 cal ammo can? I sorted and culled them. There were 578 rounds. 190 REM-UMC, 141 odds, ends and culls, and now the bad part 247 rds of LC-53. I know LC-53 had corrosive primers. So the reason for this post. My plan is to wash the LC brass in strong soap and hot water and oven dry them at about 150 deg. I will then prep and polish them. I believe they should be OK as long as I use them for Cast Boolit loads. Please correct me if I am wrong. The LC-53 is good looking brass and all of the necks are anealed.

Now for the so-so deal. I have been looking for a good 110 Savage. The fellow wanted 250, which was more than I wanted to pay, but it was the best price I have seen in a while. So he got the 250 and I got the rifle. It is a 270, and the trigger is quite good. It does look like he did not clean the barrel the last time he or someone used it. If the barrel is OK well that is good. Now the problem is to figure out which A&B barrels (plural) I need to get for it. So much for the day at the gunshow.

Jeffrey

woody1
02-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Jeffrey, according to my information LC 30-06 was non-corrosive beginning some time in 1951. Therefore anything LC52 or later is non-corrosive.This info from the NRA Illustrated Reloading Handbook which I believe was first published in the early '60's. I still have some and have shot a ton of LC53 without any problems. Just ordinary cleaning. Regards, Woody

floodgate
02-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Jeffrey:

Corrosive (chlorate) priming wouldn't affect the cases any; it just requires water cleanup of the rifle bore to dissolve the chloride salt deposits. Washing and tumbling the cases is probably a good idea in any case. It is the old MERCURIC priming that leaves deposits that weaken the brass (amalgamates with the copper in the copper/zinc alloy, and weakens it). Mercuric priming is long-gone, unless you try to fire some of the old "collectors" cartridges, EXCEPT I seem to recall that the old Western 8-1/2G mercuric match primers were still on the shelves in the 1960's, and one year's National Match FA .30-'06 loads used mercuric primers - but I don't recall which year, sometime in the '50's, I think.

floodgate

Buckshot
02-06-2006, 04:07 AM
"................Now the problem is to figure out which A&B barrels (plural) I need to get for it. So much for the day at the gunshow."

30-'06, 280 Rem, 35 Whelen would be my pick without switching boltheads.

.....................Buckshot

bravokilo
02-06-2006, 06:26 AM
"................Now the problem is to figure out which A&B barrels (plural) I need to get for it. So much for the day at the gunshow."

30-'06, 280 Rem, 35 Whelen would be my pick without switching boltheads.

.....................Buckshot

Ya missed the .338-06 A-Square......

BK

StarMetal
02-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Federal also has out there 338-08 and soon rifles will be on the market of it. It's as close to the 338-08 as the 308 is to the 06.

Joe