PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking for the right SS press

camotruck
03-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Just like the title says

Im looking to purchase a single stage press to size and lube with, and if possible make gas checks with and want everyones input. I have been reloading for a while but I use a progressive press. Funny enough I use it as a single stage because of my loading style.
It's an RCBS pro 2000.

LEE Classic cast has been recomended to me and I've looked on Ebay at some 450 and 4500 presses but some of those are crazy when it comes to what they will pay. I was wondering about another RCBS rock chucker ould that work. Guess not I'll need something to hold the lube. I'd like something to size lube and make Gas Checks with, if possible, I just got into the GB for GS.

I just need some guidance and would be greatfull for any help.

Mike

Firebricker
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
camo, presses on e-bay are usually more than new prices. A rockchucker will handle anything you need it to. If your going to size and lube with lee dies the container it comes in fits on top to catch em. For that you can get lees smallest press for about $30 I've never made gas checks so I dont know how strong of a press needed.

Heavy lead
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I use my old Lee Challenger to size with the Lee push through sizers. It would be way overkill with the Lee Classic or the Rockchucker, Redding Boss, or others of that size.

camotruck
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I forgot all about installing Gas Checks as part of the press operation. is it ? or is that part of the sizing die and luber operation?

MT Gianni
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
You are probably after a Lyman 450/4500 lubesizer. RCBS makes a great one to lube and seat gas checks. Star does the classic top end model. You can lube with a lee push through die using liquid Alox only. It is possible to seat checks with this. Pat Marlin has a system in design but not yet in production to cut out and form gas checks with some single stage presses. There are others on e-bay that you do with a hammer. I read your questions but am still not sure about what you want and need. I recommend the Lyman handbook to nail down the equipment necessary.
Many start with a lee push through lubing. Most of us move on. RCBS has a great warranty, Ly 450 is usually a bit cheaper. You will need dies for each diameter you want to size to. Lots of used equipment is sold here, you have to be quick as a used sizer with dies at a good price rarely is still available 1 hour after posting.

mooman76
03-16-2009, 12:15 AM
camotruck
I think you are confusing two different type presses. The45, 450 or 4500 Lyman press is a lube and sizing press only. It will also install gas checks but does not make them. A standard single stage press like the Lee Classic cast will do your regular loading and will size but not lube with the Lee sizer dies. The Lee classic cast is a good strong press by the way and if you can break it you are doing something you shouldn't be doing!

OeldeWolf
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I have noit yet sized anything, but for a single stage reloading press, I love my Forster Co-Ax press.

waco
03-16-2009, 01:48 AM
as for a ss press....you cant go wrong with the rcbs rockchucker.....
moneyWELL SPENT!:drinks:

camotruck
03-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Yea I may have confused them there. I do understand that I need one to load with. Cool I have that. And then I need one to lube , size, and seat gas checks, nee done of those any help out there with that? As far as the single stage and the GC maker I was under the impression that with our GB http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31005&page=13 on the GC maker you needed a press and I didnt want to hace to keep changing it out pluss I might br nice to have a SS just in case its needed in which case I'd need to change dies out any way or I could use it with my degapper. Hhmmm ........ I may need a few SS presses.

R.C. Hatter
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
The RCBS Rock Chucker gets my vote. I've owned two, the first one I sent back to RCBS after years of reloading semi-commercially, because the ram had worn to the point there was sideplay in it. I only wanted a new ram installed, but they sent me a brand new Rockchucker at NO charge. I'm still using that one.

camotruck
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I like the RCBS equipment I have "broken" my RCBS twice and they sent me the parts free no shiping or anything so I'm not agianst their stuff.

Yo be honest I'm afraid to make a purchase I know as soon as I do someone here will show up with one they have for sale. How bout I just put my "I'll take it " in now "PM to follow"[smilie=1:

35remington
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I might point out that the Lee Classic Cast single stage press is their best one and costs about sixty percent of what the Rockchucker does. I have both, and both are fine presses, but the considerably lower cost of the Lee press is the obvious tiebreaker.

Gary51
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Try to find an old RCBS A2 and you will never need another press for reloading or any other projects you may wish to tackle in the future. They are not cheap but will last many lifetimes.

Frank46
03-17-2009, 12:26 AM
My rockchucker is over 40 years old. About once a year I disassemble the linkage and remove the ram. Clean everything and relubricate and reassemble. but also have the lee classic. And an old c-press hardly used, used to load 45acp over 40 years ago. All three are cast iron presses. maybe that will tell you something. Had an old texan press also many moons ago. Was aluminum or aluminum alloy same deal with that clean and relube. But the ram was steel so eventually gave it to a buddy to reload 38/357 mag. As long as you take care of it should last a good long time. Even do the same with my dillon 550 clean and relubricate. But if looking for a single stage either a used rockchucker or the lee classic should serve you well. Frank