PDA

View Full Version : Another gun show report

supv26
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I made it to a gun show in Licking, MO yesterday and was a bit surprised of how many showed up. This is a small rural area but the place was packed. They had a lot of venders with some traveling a long distance to get there.

I got there about an hour after it had started and was only able to find 200 primers! I found 2 boxes of WIN large mag pistol for 3 bucks a box so I bought them. I then was able to find 200 pieces of 44 mag brass to go with them. I will be loading those up this afternoon. I also was able to pick up some tumbling media and some of those green army ammo cans for 5 bucks apiece.

As for guns, I saw one SOCOM, one Rock River, a few SKS's and a couple of AK's. There were a ton of the usual old shotguns and rifles. Lots of scopes and accessories too. Prices were high as expected too.

I saw one of those little Norinco 22lr autos, the knock off of the little Browning, selling for $280.00! I bought 4 of those from walmart years ago for $89.99 apiece! I did see a Remington 11-48 20ga skeet and they were asking $1,175.00 which was not too bad for it. I saw another 11-48 standard in well used condition for $300.00 too.

Not a bad show......

FN in MT
03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Bozeman MT show yesterday was a waste of gas and time. Packed with people. Prices were insanely high.

Joe average guy who carries around a hunting rifle or a few pistols with price tags on them....occasionally one can do a good deal with a non dealer individual. Saw a guy with a Mini-14 with a $900 price tag. Saw several Chinese AK's with 4 figure price tags.

Surplus ammo was insanely priced but despite that it was selling. Albeit slowly but selling none the less. BRASS seemed to be the big panic buy item this show. With primers still being sought, but the two big components dealers only had WOLF primers left.

There were even two guys selling loaded ammo out of the back of their pickup trucks in the parking lot! Never have I seen THAT before. Great interest in most any loaded ammo and sacks of new brass.

These are surely strange times right now.

FN in MT

imashooter2
03-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Valley Forge PA a half an hour ago. The place was packed. Obama is the best gun salesman since Sam Colt. Everything was MSRP or better and no one would move. Guns were flying out the door anyway. I bought a NOS box of 158 grain .38 +P NYCLAD that I found for cheap and a Victorinox Executive to replace the one I can't find anymore. The guys I went with bought a 686, 2 Colt 1911s and an NAA Mini. All at shameful prices...

And when the hell did Yugo SKSs get to $450?

rmb721
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I have been to three gun shows in the past month, York, Pennsdale and Morris. All three had record attendance. In the mornings, you could hardly get through. Democrats are great gun sales people.

Echo
03-16-2009, 02:43 AM
I made the show in Tucson yesterday. Looked for a Marlin in .32 Special or .35 Remington, found neither. Looked for primers & powder - found NONE! Not one primer! Not one ounce of powder! But.

An arsenal-reconditioned Walther P1 followed me home. I really don't need one, but for $275, I think it was a buy. Cast some -402 boolits for it yesterday, loaded this morning, and took to the range. Shot about 8" low @ 25 yards. Carrumba. Several loads, and 3.9 grs of BE grouped best, about 2.5" @ 25 yards. RD loads expanded to 5". Will work with it some more, but if I can't get it to shoot to point of aim, I'll sell it. Can't stand a gun that won't shoot where you aim it

lead Foot
03-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Went to the Sydney gun show a few weeks back.(long way from home for me) Lucky to buy seven Lyman and RCBS lube sizers and four top punch's for $20. [smilie=1:Also a RCBS 38-148-wc mould for $30 and it cast's the perfect boolit, drops at .358 and less than a thou' out of round. I arrived two hours late but managed to get a bargain.
lead Foot;
:drinks:

largom
03-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Went to show in Leesport, PA. this weekend. Jam-packed, elbow to elbow, could hardly get around. I was looking for a 222 Rem. bolt action, found a Sav. Mod. 340 but the guys price was $400.00 so I passed.
Left the show and went to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. No new or used 222 Rem. for sale, only had one or two packs of pistol primers, no rifle primers. Pickings of powder were very slim, but I did get 3 lbs. which didn't cost me anything since I paid with "points" on my Cabela's visa.
Left Cabela's and visited a gun shop in Gettysburg, PA. They had a good stock of powder with several price tags scratched off. I asked what the price of powder was and the guy said he would have to scan it since the price was changeing daily. I said the price should'nt change on what is in stock but he only looked at me. After scanning he said the price was $27.95 per lb. I told him I would pass and that I just put his store on my "Do not visit" list.
Larry

bullshot
03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
West Springfield Ma show last Sat & Sun Mar 14 & 15. Tremendous amount of people. Prices really high. Seems like all the junk was dragged out. Came home with some 30-40 Krag brass and two thousand LP primers. $26.00 thousand for the primers. Not too bad in this day and age.

rickomatic
03-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Washington Arms Collectors show in Monroe, WA was crowded. I hadn't been in a few months, so hadn't seen all the panic. While crowded, I didn't see any panic buying. I saw lots of ammo available, except 7.62x39 in bulk. I also saw a couple tables that had a few thousand small rifle and small pistol primers. And I didn't get there til almost noon. One thing I did notice was that the few tables that had stripped AR lowers had them priced at $150-$185. I bought one from one of those guys last year for $109.
Only money I spent was $35 to re-up my membership for a year.

crazy mark
03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I made the show in Tucson yesterday. Looked for a Marlin in .32 Special or .35 Remington, found neither. Looked for primers & powder - found NONE! Not one primer! Not one ounce of powder! But.

An arsenal-reconditioned Walther P1 followed me home. I really don't need one, but for $275, I think it was a buy. Cast some -402 boolits for it yesterday, loaded this morning, and took to the range. Shot about 8" low @ 25 yards. Carrumba. Several loads, and 3.9 grs of BE grouped best, about 2.5" @ 25 yards. RD loads expanded to 5". Will work with it some more, but if I can't get it to shoot to point of aim, I'll sell it. Can't stand a gun that won't shoot where you aim it

ECHO,
Aound western Oregon I see anywhere from 2-5 Marlins each in 30/30, 32 spl and 35 Rem. They are at the $250-$400 or so price range. I picked up a nice Model 36 in 32 spl for $350 but it was a SC model and had excellent wood and the metal was in VG shape. A 336 32 spl was $385 and a 336 A was $425. Many 30-30's for $250 - $325. Guess we the overload up here. Mark

HamGunner
03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Springfield, Mo gunshow this weekend. The show had spilled over into a second room as at least 30 more tables were needed. Lots of high prices at many tables. Opportunists wanting $50 a thousand for primers. and $25-$30 for powder. But the regular vendors had plenty of primers and powder and were charging as low as $27 a thousand for primers and powder $18-$23. There did not appear to be a shortage of most primers even on the second day, but a few powders were sold out. Guns were high as usual as was loaded ammo.

Tom Herman
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
My buddy hit the last Washington Arms Collector show... He said there was a guy that had twelve pallets of .50 cal cans for $5 each. They were in great shape. The line to get them was like an old Soviet union bread line! Two hours later, all twelve pallets were sold off...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Mtman314
03-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Billings, Montana 400 table gunshow is the 27, 28 & 29 of March, at the Holiday Inn Convention Center just off west King Ave. I'll make a report after it's over. I do have a table if anyone wants to visit me stop by for a chat. My avatar says where to find me.

Dave

Mtman314
03-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Billings Gunshow

Large Pistol Primers were running 50 bucks a thou only seen about 500 winchester large rifle primers and they are gone now. Had a couple of dealers want to sell me Winchester magnum pistol primers to use for rifle. About 20 vendor tables were empty they expect to get the rest in tonight and setup by morning. Crowds were heavy, guns and ammo moving out. No 303 brass though, I did find a place of where to get some in Bozeman and also some surplus FMJ here in Billings. I got a Lee "C" press for 10 bucks plan to use it for sizing boolits and some expanding dies, cheap. I'll be getting a swager set for primer pockets come morning. I got another 120 rounds of 30-06 for the cheapest price of free from a friend. Some military some springfield head stamped.

rockrat
03-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Show in town yesterday evening. What a Zoo!!! Primers from $27.50 for wolf to $40 for everything else. No LR to be founds. Couple of Lyman 4 cavs. w/handles for $75 (38wc and 38swc). Picked up a box of 6.5 checks on the off chance I might load for a 260. People trying to haggle you down on ammo and leave in a huff when you won't budge, even thought you are the lowest in the show. Then come back and moan about not buying it because the guy 1 min. behind them bought it. Background checks are 1.5hrs. Today probably will be 4 hrs or so.

Hint---If your state wants to do this. Push for a part in the law that says they only have 1 hr to do the check or automatic approved. Otherwise the state won't staff the office that does them and causes a big delay.

Gonna be a Loooonnnng day.

auzzie101
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Stopped by the little gunshow in centrailia WA. It was packed. Seems to be the norm nowadays. I did find 600 LR primers but, for the asking price of 8.00 per hundred I decided to pass. I figured I would do a good deed and save them for the next guy :).

Bent Ramrod
03-29-2009, 01:22 AM
I went to the Costa Mesa Gun Show today. Got there 45 minutes after the show opened and spent 45 minutes in the ticket line. Before November you maybe had to wait 10 minutes for tickets if you showed up an hour after opening.

People were hauling ammo out on dollies and carts by the multiple caseful. There was powder, still around $21 plus tax, but primers seemed to be in short supply. One guy had four cartons of Wolf Large Pistol at $40each, limit two per customer. There seemed to be plenty of ammunition, although prices seem to be going up. For some reason, .45 Colt brass is in short supply, although most other types seem to be around. People were three deep around the Miwall Ammunition row, and two deep around any Black Rifle table. Didn't see any of those Illegal Aliens hauling Assault Rifles out of the show to arm the narcotraficantes south of the border, but I guess I go to different gun shows than Hillary does.

I didn't see anything big that I really had to have, so just picked up a few odds and ends. Costa Mesa is now four buildings, plus the space between two of them, plus a row outside. It was two buildings with a struggling third a couple years ago. A lot of non-gun-related junk, but still pretty good.

rockrat
03-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I have LP Wolf on my table at $27.50 and no one really wants them. Go figure. Ammo prices were unbelievable. Heard of a guy selling PMC Bronze 223 at $16/box and he sold all he had!! Sold most of my ammo and the sr wolf primers, but not a gun yesterday and probably not today. We usually get 2200 people thru the doors of our show, but was over that just thru yesterday.

imashooter2
03-29-2009, 09:16 AM
At the VF show I posted on above, ammo was all but gone on Sunday. I commented on it to one of the regulars that was standing behind a dozen near empty tables. He told me he moved over $40,000 on Saturday. I believed him.