PDA

View Full Version : OK, these were alot more fun, thanks Bruce B

BCall
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
I have bought several new 22 and 6mm molds over the last few weeks, and I really wanted to be able to cast some nice boolits with them. To date, I have had alot of frustration, and few good boolits. Today, I read through Speedcasting by Bruce B, and then I tried it when I continued to have problems with the new molds. I would start casting, get some bad ones, then get a few really nice ones, and then the bases would go bad. In previous pictures, members said they looked porous, but i thought they were just tearing. Being new, I kept decreasing flow until the melt barely came out-but the bases looked the same. In trying to figure out why and how to fix it, I let the mold set longer-bingo, clean cut base, and the boolits were sticking in the mold less. Apparently, I am not letting the sprue cool enough before casting. Then I thought-I'm not looking for speed, but quicker cooling of the sprue might help, and bingo again, I was very happy with my results. After I started getting good boolits, I started water quencing them, , and started speeding up a little. This might not work for everything I do, but with these small molds, it made me very happy. I selected five at random after i was done, and before i sorted for the pics. The second one from the left had a rounded base, but I have now discovered that after cutting the sprue, i can check the base, and if it is rounded at all, i can see it and dump it away from the good ones. This is a single cavity, so I can kinda presort the bases while I cast. I am a much happier caster now. Thanks to all for everything, Billy
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850404.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850405.jpg

Second pic didn't turn out so good, but the bases are the best I've cast so far. They all look a little rounded, but they are not, just how the picture came out i guess. Might try another one later. Thanks!

BCall
03-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah, the mold was a 225438 lyman i just got. Thanks Speedshooter.

Buckshot
03-15-2009, 01:31 AM
.............Ya know what? If they're evenly rounded all the way around I'd sure keep them. You won't be able to tell the difference shooting them. Keep 10 of'em out and load then shoot'em as a group and compare to the others.

...............Buckshot

shotman
03-15-2009, 01:37 AM
those are a GC so base is not a problem

snaggdit
03-15-2009, 01:51 AM
I, too, recently read Speedcasting by Bruce B. Tried it last Tuesday with Lee 2 cav molds and WOW did that increase my speed. 3 different sizes (.356, .401 and .452) in 4 different weights (2 diff .452) around 700 boolits in 2 hours. Your boolits are looking good, but once again makes me hesitant to try casting for my .223. I am getting closer to where I want to be skill wise, though. Maybe soon. I'm ready to try some 6 cavs first.

runfiverun
03-15-2009, 11:07 AM
pouring a nice puddle on top of the sprue plate helps too.
i have a 44 mold that i can see it suck the lead in when it cools that is how i know to open the cutter.