PDA

View Full Version : testers

Bryson Hutchison
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
can any one help me to decide witch hardness tester i should purchase. i dont know of any but two manufactures wood tree,saeco both being about 100 dollars

Mk42gunner
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Lee makes one, I saw it in a store last week for $49.99. I would have gotten it but the fundage situation is pretty low right now.

Robert

MT Gianni
03-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Gussy's Cabintree allows you to test any flat surface within reason, ingots, scraps or bullets. The Saeco allow you to test flat nosed bullets. Gussy is a member and contributor here, Saeco/Redding is not. Gussy's shows repeatable data, the Lee is, in the opinion of some, difficult to measure. My Cabintree tester allows me to measure cartridge run out. I consider it money well spent and mine dates from one of the first prototypes. IMO a tester is not needed for most cast shooting, when you do need one it really helps.

waksupi
03-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Cabin Tree is the winner, hands down.

missionary5155
03-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Good morning
I have not used the Lee. I have a LBT and a Saeco. I personally would be patient and buy the LBT hardness tester instead of the saeco. No math with the LBT. Just follow directions and the simple bar shows what the hardness is.
I have LOOKED at the Crabtree on the screen and it looks like a GOOD deal. AS mentioned above it is muti-use which is FAR better.
Now having said all that Down here I use a simple test I read here somewhere that personally I like as well as my LBT up in Illinois. I do not mean to to deny credit to the author but I do not remember who posted this.
But I made an Ingot of pure as my test bed and an ingot of whatever unknown lead I want to test. Both ingots should be about the same size and shape for a better reading. I place my Pure ingot on the cement floor . PLace large steel bearing ( I found a 1/2" works well and I would think any over 1/4" would be fine.) on a flat smooth spot on the pure ingot. Then place the unknown hardness ingot on top of the steel bearing. Again with a flat smooth area on the bearing. The flat smooth area is easy to TAP into the lead with a hammer... easy taps and soon the smooth flat appears. This is a GOOD time to practice steadying the Bearing sandwich with a gloved hand.
Now hit (NOT tap.. hit it hard) the Unknown ingot on top with a hammer of at least one pound in line with the steel bearing. The bearing will mash into BOTH ingots making a crater.
The soft Pure lead will have a larger crater. Now measure both craters accuratly with a dial caliper. Square each diameter. Divide the square of the UNKNOWN lead diameter into that of the Pure. You should have a reading of 1.???? . Now muliply by 5 (which is the hardness of PURE lead). YOu now have a figure that is real close to the hardness of the unknown ingot . Yea it sounds like chemistry class again BUT it is REAL easy with a calculator.
Does not cost $100 and with just a little practice you can easily and safely test your lead to at least know How hard it is. Knowing the hardness of unknown lead gives you a rough idea how much pressure you can place on a boolit base.
Again I apologise to WHOEVER first posted this. I possibly modified his description to meet my fuzzy thinking patterns.. BUT it works !
Mike in Peru

Bret4207
03-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Cabin Tree is by far the best with the LBT coming in #2 and SAECO #3. Anything else is just guess work.

Cap'n Morgan
03-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Here's a system somewhat similar to the one Mike describes - From D.R. Corbin's Bullet tips:

http://www.mrpc.info/docs/bultip05.pdf

montana_charlie
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I use the Lee, but don't take my word for it.

Anyone who messes with BPCR knows of Dan Theodore. In his various disguises as chamber designer, bullet designer, and lube designer, he has a reputation for being a careful and scientific workman.
Dan is currently doing some extended hardness testing to see how alloys change over time.
When asked what he uses to do his hardness testing, his reply was...

"Kurt,

I'm using the Lee BHN tester for the long-term testing. It works very well once one has a good, consistent technique developed. The Log Cabin tester has also been used to verify the Lee numbers. They agree very well."

The man is never hard up for funds, and he has access to any tool on the market. If he chose the Lee, you can bet it is dependable.

CM

Cosmiceyes
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Gussy's Cabintree allows you to test any flat surface within reason, ingots, scraps or bullets. The Saeco allow you to test flat nosed bullets. Gussy is a member and contributor here, Saeco/Redding is not. Gussy's shows repeatable data, the Lee is, in the opinion of some, difficult to measure. My Cabintree tester allows me to measure cartridge run out. I consider it money well spent and mine dates from one of the first prototypes. IMO a tester is not needed for most cast shooting, when you do need one it really helps.

How do I get a hold of Gussy?What is cartridge run out?

JeffinNZ
07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I have a Lee and for the purpose it's very exceptable. Has pluses and minus's.

Down South
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
How do I get a hold of Gussy?What is cartridge run out?
http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_llc___lead_testers.htm

I use a Cabin Tree. I had a Saeco but sold it. The Saeco worked well but it would test boolit hardness only while the Cabin Tree will test ingots and boolits.
The link above describes about runout along with the tester in general.

We used to have a link on the forum to Casting Stuff but I don't see it right now.