PDA

View Full Version : Another brass question

Beekeeper
03-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm not looking to sell any but am looking for a basic price sheet to see if I got my moneys worth on the brass I bought?
I bought a 30 gal barrel of brass, a lot of it is steel case but a lot of good brass so wanted to check and see how bad I took it in the posterior or if I did.

beekeeper

mooman76
03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you are talking once fired brass. If so it usually goes for about half the price of new depending demand though such as there isn't a call for 9mm or 40 as much but there is a higher demand for like 45 colt and so on.

EDG
03-14-2009, 11:19 PM
The local indoor range bozo proprietor used to sell brass by the piece. Now he sells rifle brass for $100 per 5 gallon bucket. Why is he a bozo? He discontinued reloading components and equipment in his store and he does not allow reloads to be fired in his indoor range.

shdwlkr
03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Go to any internet site that sells brass and once fired is going for about 50% of that price. Now if you have the 9mm, 223, 45 auto, 357 mag or other popular brass then it will go for 55-60% of new price.
Now this is for cleaned, deprimed once fired brass, price goes down for every step the reloader has to do.
If it is not once fired you can figure it is worth maybe 30-40% of the new stuff again depending on condition
hope this gives you and idea

Beekeeper
03-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the return info.
I haven't counted or weighed it yet but think I came out ahead.
So far it looks like I'll never have to buy brass again in my lifetime.
Only one problem.
What do I do with the brass I don't have guns for?
HAY MAYBEI got a reason to buy more guns.Hmm I think I'll have a talk with SHMBO about this!

beekeeper

Beekeeper
03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Any one got a good argument to use with SHMBO for getting new guns.?

beekeeper

Sprue
03-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Well Yes !........... you do have the necessary components !

I never had owned a 9MM before. Over time I had accumulated dies, shell holders, everything needed with tons of brass. :mrgreen:

You have the Forums Blessings

The Double D
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Any one got a good argument to use with SHMBO for getting new guns.?
beekeeper

Based on almost 43 years of marriage all to the same women, the answer to your question is NO!.

Now some one who is married to a different women or has been married to multiple women may have found this magic argument.

The "good argument to use with SWMBO" is kind of like the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant...some people believe they exist. I don't. :)

runfiverun
03-15-2009, 12:46 PM
if you got the money just buy it, and don't argue.
she will stop talking after a while, then you can start looking in your load books for a suitable load.

Beekeeper
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
double D,
I agree with you .
After 50 years I haven't found one that works either but always keep trying.

beekeeper

TAWILDCATT
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I get the "Shotgun News"the big suppliers advertize there.
and do what you did,count or weigh the extra brass and sell or trade it.:coffeecom[smilie=1:

Recluse
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
My wife has her money, I have mine. She has her toys, I have mine. I want to buy something and can afford it, I buy it. No questions asked, no asking permission, none of that.

I don't mind having a lot of extra components (brass, dies, bullets, boolits, etc) on hand for firearms/calibres I don't own. Makes for good barter.

:coffee:

Doc_Stihl
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Show the wife pictures of guns whenever possible and whenever she goes. "Oh, that's nice".

FIND A REASON YOU NEED TO BUY IT FOR HER.

My wife likes revolvers, she wants to go pig hunting, CHA CHING!. Smith 29 is just what she needs. Better have a backup gun... CHA CHING. Get her into pin shooting, that's good for a .22 dressed up and a good 45 atleast.

hoosierlogger
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
9 times out of 10 in my experiance it is better not to know if you came out ahead or not.