PDA

View Full Version : Scope and iron sight forum needed!!!!

Depreacher
03-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Hello All,

It is my humble opinion that a rifle scope/spotting scope/iron sight forum is needed. Scopes are such an integral part of our cast boolit shooting, especially for those of us whose vision is dimming (like me). You can brag on yours, tell where to get the best deal, show us how you mounted it on a hard to scope military rifle (such as instructions on drilling and tapping), replacing crosswires, repurging with nitrogen, refocusing objective lens, whatever.
I replaced the crosswires in a 3x9 japanese scope (K-mart special) in 1980. My old buddy wanted $2 bucks for it since it had scratches and no crosswires. This was my first attempt, using spider web and elmers glue. That old scope still functions just fine after many rounds of 30-06 through the rifle. I buy a scope off ebay now and then with no crosswires (read cheapo), and replace them myself. You need a small length of .0015 nichrome resistance wire (available from University Optics), some 5 minute J-B weld epoxy, a nitrogen source (your neighbors mig welder setup maybe?), and some patience. .0015 makes a nice medium crosswire in a scope. I have kept several i did myself. If I can do it, you can too. I have my own 80 pound nitrogen bottle setup. There is an excellent little book named: Guide to Riflescope Repair by Dr. J.W. Seyfried, that is available from University optics, and maybe Amazon. This really got me started, with lots of helpful info using easily avaible tools.
If repair isn't your bag, we could still argue/brag on which has the best reticule, light transmission percentage, image definition, light gathering ability, most precise adjustments, works the box the best, on and on.
Been wanting to suggest this for some time, as I think it would make an interesting and informative forum. I will try to answer what little I am able too, but think there are many here more informed than myself on different scopes abilities, and repair tecniques.
If could contain peep, and open sights also. The Redfield, Lyman, and Williams fans could swing it out. What sight, aperture, or model works best for you, and where to get certain items, best price, etc.
I might even start another cheap scope thread in it. HA! Shields up Mr. Scott

Bret4207
03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I thought a 22rf forum would be nice too. I got castrated for even suggesting it.

RSOJim
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Dear Mr. Castboolitpreacher, I agree with you 110 percent. I have been thinking about suggesting something along these lines since 2 weeks ago when I decided to repair 3 scopes. They are now in a trash box in the garage. Boy those little wires won't take punishment when they are pushed on with a fat finger. You would have thought I would have learned after the first one, but I did fix the fourth one. Education has its price or prices in my case. Yes I think I would like to learn how to repair scopes since they have practically nothing in them. Go for it. Thanks in advance Jim

l-weinrich
03-14-2009, 10:31 PM
sounds good to me, I had a leopold pistol scope once that I tried to replace the crosshair in when I was done it looked like a piece of pipe in there

Depreacher
03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Don't give up on those scopes. Retreive them out of the trash box. If you want to try to fix them I will try to talk you through it. Bad thing is fixing a scope long distance is like repairing a mechanical wristwatch (another hobby of mine also) long distance. If I have had experience with the exact model like yours I will be glad to help, but my experience is limited to mostly Bushnell, Tasco, and Redfield tracker variables. Get that little book I told you about before you try anything. It's a easy read with lots of info. Depreacher ps. You will need several small swiss screwdrivers to do good work. The dollar store chinese "precision" ones will just booger up those tiny screws holding the reticule support ring. Trust me.

Depreacher
03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah BRET4207, I know what you mean. I started a cheap scope thread once to help a few of us who couldn't afford a $399 Leupold on everything we own. I got so much instant hate mail on that one I pushed a couch up against the front door that night. We slept on the floor behind a 3/8" steel plate (well almost). The leupold gang went beserk thinking I was trying to tell them that a Simmons Blazer special would serve them better than a Nightforce. Actually I was trying to start a conversation on finding the best scope that would fit the pocket book of financially challenged members, such as yours truly. Luckily several well respected members jumped into the fray and saved me. I am eternally grateful to them. WHEW!!! Depreacher

bobk
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
In my opinion, Leupolds can be a PITA for the kind of stuff we do. I think they're great for the one-load hunter who wants his scope to never lose it's zero, is reasonably bright, and has good eye relief. It's when you are trying a new load that it gets irritating. The scopes not only don't lose their zero, they're reluctant to adjust at all. I remember years ago bumping Leupolds with the heel of my hand, thumping them on the bench, and whatnot, trying to get them to follow the adjustments, to no avail. Invariably, I had to fire a couple of rounds before the scope settled into it's new adjustment. Maybe the new ones are better in this respect.

However, what is it that we want a scope to do? If it holds it's zero, (without being excessively tenacious :-D ) and has minimal parallax, mounts easily (Not too short), and is not awfully heavy, what else is there/ Well, brightness is important to most hunters. This can be hard to figure out. Trying to compare scopes at dusk or dawn is hard, since light conditions are changing fairly quickly. Years ago I learned to test scopes on a moonlit night. The light is consistent. What I learned is that there was no correlation between the price of a scope and it's brightness. One of the brightest scopes I saw was a cheapy 3 X 9 Simmons. I didn't find the Burris scopes to be particularly bright.

Donning flameproof suit . . .

Bob K

JDL
03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Excellent suggestion.
JDL

montana_charlie
03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
A dissertation on how to repair a scope should fit right in among the subjects found in the Special Projects section.
If it's pretty generic, and can be applied to most any brand of scope, it should be nominated for stickie-dom in that forum.

I don't think that a 'new forum' is needed. We all use scopes, iron sights, and spotters...but we also all use triggers. Don't see any need for a special 'trigger forum', either.

CM

crabo
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I think a "sticky" about iron sights for levers in the lever section would be good. It could be expanded in each section such as military, black powder cartidge, ect. I think that would make it easy to find. If you have an interest in those guns, you would have the info right there that applies to those guns..