PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ RCBS Pro Melt Pot

Jaybird62
03-14-2009, 01:35 PM
My pot started dripping a couple of weeks ago. I took the metering rod out and scrubbed it and the pot with warm soapy water. Still dripped. Then, I put the metering rod in my drill press and gave the tip a slight bevel. Still dripps. The spout freezes up, too, unless the temp is around 750. Never had a problem with either until a few weeks ago.

codgerville@zianet.com
03-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Check the opening in the bottom of the pot where the metering rod seats. I have had to use a bore brush there on my Saeco pot sometimes. Sometimes a bit of dross will get stuck there and has to be cleaned out. As for the spout freezing up, in cold weather I have to run mine at close to 800 degrees.

Rick459
03-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Jaybird,
for the stem i put mine in a hand drill and used 600 grit lapping compound and lapped in the stem to the spout that stopped the leaking. i also have a problem with the spout freezing up. called RCBS and had them send me a thermostat and replaced that at their suggestion but still getting spout freezing.
called them again and am now waiting for a heating element to get here as it must have to be that. from taking my pot apart there are only three electrical parts in it , the thermostat. the on/off switch/ and heating element. mine says made in may of 2006 HTH

Rick

Jaybird62
03-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I'll try the lapping compound. Thanks for the suggestion.Jay

Dale53
03-14-2009, 09:46 PM
I have cast a couple hundred thousand bullets with my RCBS pot. Occasionally my spout will freeze up, particularly when I am casting at as cool a temperature as I can (for the bullet and alloy). I have a propane torch I keep handy, start it up and heat the spout. I only have to do that once or twice a session. I occasionally had to do it with my old Lyman pot, also. You can also take an old allen wrench, clamped with a vice-grip and run the short arm up into the spout. I mostly use the torch.

I also have a small Chinese vise grip clamped on the valve operating handle to add weight to COMPLETELY stop the dripping.

Dale53

Rick459
03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
here are the innerds of the pro melt pretty simple
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture030-1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture029-2.jpg

happy7
03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
The thermostat on mine has a screw on it that you can turn to adjust the temp. If you have a thermometer you can regulate it.

Rick459
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
happy where abouts is the screw located??