PDA

View Full Version : Well forensics are in I am a caster

BigBlack
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Attached you will find my first fired cast bullets. Scientific setup described

1. 5 Gallon Bucket full to the brim with water and a cardboard lid(lid to contain splash)
2. Deck 5 feet off ground at highest point.
3. Weapon Taurus 58 380 auto
4. Mold Lee 100 grain 356 round nose (2 cavity)
5. Wheel Weight boolits
6. Win brass
7. CCI Small Pistol Primer
8. 3.0gr HP 38

I layed out on the deck swinging my shooting arm over the edge straight down into the bucket full of water. I fired, went bang and second round chambered successfully. Looking over the edge I saw a hole in the card board so I fire round two, bang, and factory round loaded last fed properly.

Now I am ready to take the rest to the range and try them out for accuracy, MAN what a feeling.

BTW the 380 pentrated the entire bucket and them about 2" into the dirt under the bucket, good enough to find some vitals I assume.

Any way here is a pick of the recovered bullets and the head of the fired cases.

Notice primer still has good rounded edges and not flattened. The case mouths look fine as well. I did lube them it just disappeared through the firing.

:castmine:

TCLouis
03-14-2009, 11:58 AM
The boolits look good and as long as you stick to book loading data I don't thik you will see primers looking any different.

In any 380 that I know of if you start seeing flattened primers I think you will have had other more severe hints of over pressure.

Semi-auto pistols and certainly blow back models are NOT the place to load over max published loads.

Just an opinion of course. Go forth, cast and sling sling lead.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Semi-auto pistols and certainly blow back models are NOT the place to load over max published loads.

Unless you want a slide as a permanant fixture embedded in your face.....