PDA

View Full Version : Homemade gaschecks

armyrat1970
03-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Handloaders and casters are notorious for being scrongers. And I confess I am.This is just a thought and may have no sense of reality but, why can't fired primers be used as gaschecks? We all have a lot of fired primers when we decap our cases and they are already in a cup shape. It would seem all we need to do is swage and expand them enough for the base of the bullet. Of course it won't be applicable to every caliber but just looking and measuring some LP primers it seems they could be swaged enough to gascheck a 223 cast bullet or something smaller. A primer pocket swager for a large military pistol or rifle case may get it very close to fit the base of a gas checked 223 cast bullet.
As I said, just a thought.

Bret4207
03-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, first you'll need to get the anvil out and then get the burnt priming compound out. Then I'd want to anneal them and then probably tumble/polish them to get the resulting crap out, plus they are nickled or chromed or something and I don't know what that is. Then you could run them through a punch and die process to shape them.

It could be done and might work great, but that's a lot of work. It's worth a try.

Flash
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
They are pretty hard and thick to prevent rupture. I am toying with the Wilke check method, made out of copper flat washers but as with many projects, the time is never there.