PDA

View Full Version : A question about 55 gr. FMJ bullets in 22-250

223tenx
03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
I just got a 22-250 and was reading about different loads to try. As I have a box (500) fmj 55 gr w/cannelure bullets, I was particularly interested in loads for that boolet and I found several manuals listed low velocity loads for the bullet- in the 1600 fps range. Anyone know why? Bullets heavier and lighter have loads listed in the 3000 fps range but not the 55 gr fmj. I tried some loads with IMR 4895 in 3000 fps range and they were all over the place, but 60 gr bullets were 1/2 to 3/4 min. These 55 grainers are supposed to be W-W bullets but had a pretty wide weight variation between bullets. Certainly more than Sierra 60 grainers. Anybody have a clue?

35remington
03-13-2009, 09:43 PM
The 55 FMJ is usually one of the cheapest of .22 jacketed bullets, and reduced loads make fine small game loads in the 22-250. The FMJ minimizes meat damage at such speeds. Reduced loads make sense when using an inexpensive nonexpanding bullet, and they are often shot in large(r) quantity due to lower costs.

That's why.

Bulk lots of some FMJ's may (not always) have somewhat less accuracy, or so others claim, but I usually get good groups with them. Oftentimes lower costs mean less rigid accuracy standards with FMJ's as they are, or were, intended for different uses than small critters at long range. So you may run across a poorly grouping lot of FMJ's more often. These could be a military overrun of bullets or intended for inexpensive domestic "white box" ammo, even though these 55 grainers have been largely supplanted by heavier FMJ's by the military. Guys with Mini-14's can't distinguish how well 55 FMJ's group, for the most part.

At high speeds they have less hunting utility than a good softpoint for nonedible game or coyotes, so they're neither fish nor fowl, in a sense. Some claim reduced pelt damage but that depends upon what part of the critter they hit.

There is no reason why you cannot shoot them as fast as any other 55 grain bullet.

mike in co
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
just dont expect precision form bulk bullets....
precision comes from quality bullets.
its a case of you get what you pay for...

mike in co

GabbyM
03-14-2009, 12:01 AM
In a 22-250 you've probably a 1-14” twist rate barrel. You'd do better with a higher velocity with the 55gr fmj-bt. To get it well stabilized. In addition if your load was way down to 3,000 fps in a 22-250 the pressure may have been a little low for good powder burn. Go ahead and run it up to at least 3400 and see how that works. About 32.5 grains of that 4895

Don't expect to to drill a hole through a coyote though. Had a friend try that years ago. He was looking for less hide damage. Ha Ha. With all that velocity from the 22-250 that bullet did what it was famous for. Yawed out and blew a hole the size of a grapefruit out the far side of that yote. When you get those running up around 3600 fps they come apart good as soon as they yaw.

I'd never use a fmj bullet around here for varmints. They ricochet something fierce.

Keep in mind that lots of Ball ammo will only shoot about 2 ¼ “ at 100 yards. Sierra makes a good 55gr fmj with good bc if you want one that will shoot.

StarMetal
03-14-2009, 12:27 AM
just dont expect precision form bulk bullets....
precision comes from quality bullets.
its a case of you get what you pay for...

mike in co

I dunno Mike, long ago when I lived in Colorado my best friend and loaded 223 for sell at the gun shows. My friend had the licenses and I had an 01. We intended to cater to the semi auto people and we were loading the 55 gr FMJ Win Nam surplus bullets. We used a ball powder from TCCI that was I believe H335 or W748, might have even been the equivalent surplus powder. Anyways some fellow had bought some then called and complained about it. Complained the best the could do with it out of a varminter Model 700 Remington was 1/2 inch at 100 yards and that with factory bullets from the various manufactures shot smaller groups then that. We were just blowed away. We thought that was pretty darn good for what it was. By the way my pre ban Colt HBAR shoots those same bullets much better then the groups you just stated. I know it's not match, but sometimes out of certain rifles it shoots pretty darn good. My Colt has the 7 twist and those 55 gr FMJ's sure exploded game pretty devastatingly. Later we moved back east and I tried it on some big groundhogs and it equally messed them up as bad as a 243 would. Never had a bullet that just shot clean through without exploding or coming apart.

To the other question why reduced load with FMJ's. Well some, especially in larger caliber, were intended to just punch small holes in hides that you were selling. That 55 gr might do that if it didn't tumble, but the higher velocities just make it come apart.

Joe

35remington
03-14-2009, 03:37 AM
The 1-14 twist barrels may indeed have problems with stabilization at low velocities. It's a good point.

My own 22-250 is 1-12, but my 1-14 K-Hornet will throw 55 FMJ's sideways at 1800 fps but strangely I've shot 1 inch groups with bullets going sideways at 100 yards! Weird, but the tumbling must have just commenced.

Can't say about 1-7 twist barrels but surely they would handle the FMJ at low speeds. I can see how they'd be blowup bullets in that kind of twist.

I myself had my best luck and accuracy in reduced loads with them at around 2200 fps but they shot reasonably down to 1800 as I recall in my own 22-250.

223tenx
03-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I didn't especially want to shoot low vel. loads with the fmj's. I was just curious about the listing in the manuals. I bought these bullets years ago at a gunshow. they came in a square cardboard box of 500 with a sticker that said W-W 55gr fmj on it. Pretty bullets that just don't shoot worth a damn. I'm going to try some low vel. loads just to see if I can get them to group.

223tenx
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
By the way, the only thing I'm shooting is paper, so groups are the only thing I'm interested in. I think the Savage is 14 twist, so I would think they should stabilize at ~3000 fps at least to shoot better than 6-8 inch groups at 100 yds.

mike in co
03-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I dunno Mike, long ago when I lived in Colorado my best friend and loaded 223 for sell at the gun shows. My friend had the licenses and I had an 01. We intended to cater to the semi auto people and we were loading the 55 gr FMJ Win Nam surplus bullets. We used a ball powder from TCCI that was I believe H335 or W748, might have even been the equivalent surplus powder. Anyways some fellow had bought some then called and complained about it. Complained the best the could do with it out of a varminter Model 700 Remington was 1/2 inch at 100 yards and that with factory bullets from the various manufactures shot smaller groups then that. We were just blowed away. We thought that was pretty darn good for what it was. By the way my pre ban Colt HBAR shoots those same bullets much better then the groups you just stated. I know it's not match, but sometimes out of certain rifles it shoots pretty darn good. My Colt has the 7 twist and those 55 gr FMJ's sure exploded game pretty devastatingly. Later we moved back east and I tried it on some big groundhogs and it equally messed them up as bad as a 243 would. Never had a bullet that just shot clean through without exploding or coming apart.

To the other question why reduced load with FMJ's. Well some, especially in larger caliber, were intended to just punch small holes in hides that you were selling. That 55 gr might do that if it didn't tumble, but the higher velocities just make it come apart.

Joe

i can get about 3/4 from a 17.5 (1/8twist)ar with hornady fmj and 2230 bulk powder in lc cases. but i get .19 from win cases, 8208 powder and berger 52's. from my 1/14 hart ar.....just depends on your deff of accuracy.

mike in co

StarMetal
03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
i can get about 3/4 from a 17.5 (1/8twist)ar with hornady fmj and 2230 bulk powder in lc cases. but i get .19 from win cases, 8208 powder and berger 52's. from my 1/14 hart ar.....just depends on your deff of accuracy.

mike in co

That's good Mike, but I thought we were talking about the el cheapo FMJ's such as I mentioned the Nam surplus. I wonder how the Hornady ones you shot compare to ones I was talking about.

For the other poster talking about the Savage's, they now can be ordered with a 9 twist in the varmint or target configuration.

There was mentioned stabilization. A friend of mine had a Ruger heavy barrel varminter in 22-250. One day he gave me a box of the Sierra 63 gr Semi-points. Said his Ruger keyholed them. He knew I had the AR15 with the 7 twist. I had thought Sierra made those with the sort of blunt tip to keep the length down so they would funtion in some fast twists.

Joe

Orygun
03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Just wondering how would they would react at higher velocities with the FMJ having the lead exposed on the base!?!

StarMetal
03-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Just wondering how would they would react at higher velocities with the FMJ having the lead exposed on the base!?!

Not quite sure what you are asking, but if it's about the exposed lead base melting....forget about it. It doesn't happen. If it does it's such a minute amount that the jackets clean it out and we never notice it. Many FMJ are built with an exposed lead base.

Was that what you were asking?

Joe

Bullshop
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I your worried about the exposed base just seat them base forward. Makes for some interesting bullet action.
BIC/BS

Orygun
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Not quite sure what you are asking, but if it's about the exposed lead base melting....forget about it. It doesn't happen. If it does it's such a minute amount that the jackets clean it out and we never notice it. Many FMJ are built with an exposed lead base.

Was that what you were asking?

Joe

Yes, that is what I was wondering about, but mostly if it would effect accuracy.

Yeah, guess you could load 'em backwards. [smilie=1: