PDA

View Full Version : Pure curiosity - Copper plating?

22lover
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Has anyone considered setting up a small electroplate setup for plating your lead boolits? Seems like it'd be a semi-trivial setup with a couple of small tanks, a small power supply or other sufficient DC source, copper sulfate, copper cathode (heavy wire), old pennies, etc....ideas?

madman
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
yep it's been done to death. I have some that were don 30 years ago. I could be wrong but Barry's offer some don't they. There is a group here the Utah state gem society. Some of the members electro plate every thing that they can get their hand on and sell it as jewelery.

arcticbreeze
03-13-2009, 06:33 PM
There is a pdf about using a Caswell system here

http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=8&nav=0,1

6bg6ga
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Started thinking about copper plated lead bullets and was wondering if there was any advantages. Still have to lube? Any difference in accuracy?

I'll Make Mine
12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
What I recall as the primary reason when copper plated bullets originally came out was that they could be used in indoor ranges that, at that time, were banning exposed-lead ammunition (and in some cases, lead-based primers) because their ventilation systems weren't up to the task of clearing out lead dust -- leaving range workers above Federal lead exposure standards. Load a plated bullet over a non-lead primer, and you have a round that the ranges would accept as "lead free" without spending the money for jacketed (and the plated slugs worked well in things like full wadcutters; I've still got a partial box of those I bought back in the 1980s, right before I got away from reloading for a while).