PDA

View Full Version : Lube

madman
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I used to build allot of engines and transmissions in another life. I used an additive called MT 10. I lubed all of my transmission bearings and gears with it as a assembly lube. I was cutting a piece of round bar stock one day and I grabbed the bottle that I used to keep on my bench. I tried to use it as a cutting oil. This was not a worn out blade but a new one.(time was money on commission then) The hack saw would not cut it, it just slid around. I am going to try it in a bee's wax 50/50 mix or maybe with a little paraffin add to see how it works. It has the highest friction ball weld numbers of any thing else that I have found. >800 ft pounds. any thoughts. High velocity hand gun and rifle boolits.:Fire:

MtGun44
03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
What is it? Liquid or solid? Where do you get it?

Bill

felix
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
High viscosity is an accuracy killer. Be careful in match-merging the lube with the barrel and boolit style. At its best, the lube eliminates just enough friction to do its job and no more. Otherwise you get stripping and/or purging. ... felix

runfiverun
03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
sounds like 5-10% might be a better number.??

madman
03-13-2009, 05:36 PM
MT Gun44 It is a liquid. I get it from Transtar out of California. The are a Transmission parts supply company. I also have Lubegard it is a friction modifier. MT 10 is an anti friction metal conditioner. I have dove some testing with manual transmissions and differentials and yes it does work. It will lower the temp by 25deg all things being equal.

Felix yea I know it is a water thin product meaning it pours like water. Darr's lube uses SPT I have made my lubes. using only Bee's wax and Mobil 1 synth and Lucas red sticky greases and they work great. not much smoke, very tacky, flows through my Lyman 4500 like butter. 218 deg to become liquid. I don't use a heater it slices like Bullshop's speed green. It is a medium red color. It works great as a pan lube, great for hand lubing boolits also. I am going to make up some MT10 and bee's wax this weekend and see how it goes.