PDA

View Full Version : .22 rediscovered

USARO4
02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I enjoy everything about casting lead, scrounging WW, making ingots, filling bullet moulds, lubing them, loading them, and shooting them. With that said I've just acquired a new toy, a Ruger single six with 5.5" bbl. This is my first new .22 in many years and I had forgotten what a hoot to shoot they are. I love slinging big chunks of lead downrange, but buying a bulk pack of .22 ammo for $10 or less and blasting away is carefree, cheap fun. I'm fortunate to own a few acres of the country here in mid-TN and can step out the backdoor of my garage/den/ammo workshop and blast away with that little revolver before work . No muss, no fuss , no brass to worry about. Sure beats a cup of starbucks to starty your day out right.

9.3X62AL
02-05-2006, 11:40 AM
That IS a fine way to get the day under way!

I just got a new (to me, anyway) 22 LR myself--a Rem 581 rifle. It showed some early promise as a rat zapper with Lapua ammo, generously provided by its seller Pistolero 451. I'm still debating scope vs. irons, but I do have a Marlin 39A that wears irons--so a scope is more likely for this one. I'm looking forward to group shooting, pointed in the direction of work afield on ground squirrels.

USARO4
02-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Deputy Al, I'd like to here more about your Marlin. I'm thinkin a .22 lever action will be my next toy, either Marlin or Henry. Seems like a perfect match to my little Ruger. You take me back to my days of youth in the San Joaquin Valley in CA. I used to pop ground squirrels with a Marlin 39. I remember how tough the little beggars were . It took a head shot to keep'm from scramlbin back in their dens. Out here in TN the squirrels live in trees and conveniately fall out when shot.

9.3X62AL
02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
I am very fond of this little Marlin lever gun. They aren't cheap, but the accuracy displayed by this example of mine is good enough to 75 yards to whack a rat if I do my part. Winchester Dynapoints do the best work so far.

woody1
02-05-2006, 01:51 PM
That IS a fine way to get the day under way!

I just got a new (to me, anyway) 22 LR myself--a Rem 581 rifle. It showed some early promise as a rat zapper with Lapua ammo, generously provided by its seller Pistolero 451. I'm still debating scope vs. irons, but I do have a Marlin 39A that wears irons--so a scope is more likely for this one. I'm looking forward to group shooting, pointed in the direction of work afield on ground squirrels.
Scope it! Put a big scope on it with AO. Maybe figure out how to tweak the trigger too. That rifle should be a rat zappin' wonder. Mine is. I've got what was about the ugliest 581 going. Big rust spots and someone had stripped the already ugly wood, making it uglier. Was going to use the action, but thought, whatdahay, shoot the thing and see if it shoots. The bore was fine and 'long story short(er)'...On a good day, if I dope the wind right, I can go fifty rats on a box of fifty ca'tridges...with Remington bulk pack hollowpoints. I'll admit last year I bedded the action and put in a 2nd action screw to hold 'er down but I honestly don't know if it shoots the bulk packs any better and I don't generally spring for premium .22's. Regards, Woody

lovedogs
02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Yup! Sniffing burned gunpowder is much better on your nerves than a cup of java. And a good .22 sure can help keep us in shooting shape. I discovered that if I take up a .22 and shoot it lots from the standing position a week before a match it helps my scores. And you're right... they're just plain fun. Recently, I replaced the factory sear and spring on one of my .22's (Ruger 77/22) with one from Timney and it really made it easier to keep groups small and get more hits on whatever I'm shooting at. Long live the lowly .22's!

XRING363
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I Recently Put A Red Dot On My Single Six. Birthday Discount From Midway. Rolling Cans And Such Has Become A Lot More Enjoyable With My Old Eyes.
Have Not Tried It With Mag Cyl Yet. Lookin Forward To It Though.