PDA

View Full Version : .45LC chambers er now reamed

DOUBLEJK
04-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Just finished usin' one a them throat reamers from Brownells to ream the to tight throats in my RBH .45LC....the cylinders all accepted the .4505" bushing really tightly but the .451" was a no go in all 6 of em....my measurements with lead slugs indicated .449" to .450" after pushing them thru....musta been some error there...
If anyone is thinkin' a doin' thier own steada sendin' it out it was a snap for me n I'm mechanicaly challenged....:grin:
Next stop's the pond range to see what improvement in performance er reduction of same I achieved...

swheeler
04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Doublejack: If you get the results you wanted what a feeling of pride, being able to fix something for yourself is much more gratifying than paying someone else to do it! Scooter

TCLouis
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
How much was the reamer from Brownells?

LouisB

DOUBLEJK
04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
here's a link to the reamers at Brownells...the reamer runs 70 bucks n the pilot pak is 44 bucks...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7700&title=REVOLVER+CYLINDER+THROATING+REAMER

The dang winds blowin near 50-70mph here this evenin' so no chance to try it out.....

Bear4570
04-09-2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.cylindersmith.com/

This guy goes great work, turn around time is ususally less than a week.
Price is $36 which includes shipping and the price gets better the more you send. He has done three of mine so far, absoultly no complaints and accuracy increased and the ability to use WFN cast bullets go better on all three .45's . One RHB and Two Bisleys.
The cool thing about CAS is that he donates part of each job to the:

45 Throats for Pete's sake.

10% from every .45 throat job goes to the "PCM fund."

The Martin Family Trust is a fund set up for the education of the three sons of friend and fellow shooter, Lt. Peter Martin FDNY , killed Sept.11, 2001

9.3X62AL
04-10-2005, 11:28 AM
My observations of shooting the BisHawk in 45 Colt since reaming the cylinder throats are that groups didn't shrink a lot, but DID get nice and round rather than vertically distributed as before with Lyman #454490. The wheeler also now shoots the Lee 200 grain H&G #68 imitator a LOT better than before. I have a 4-cavity #452460 courtesy of Bruce B that has yet to get heated up at my house, and this needs to be addressed now that the Bisley shows promise of being more than a "one-boolit wonder".

44man
04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
When I got my Vaquero I was lucky to get 6 to 9" groups at 25 yd's. I didn't have the reamer at the time so I hand lapped the throats. I have shot several 1" groups at 75 yd's since I worked on it. Killed deer to 100 yd's too. Best thing I ever did to a gun.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-13-2005, 03:02 PM
I think a lot depends on the bullet alloy. A tight throat, though often considered fatal to revolver accuracy, was common in the .455 Webleys, including a friend's very fine civilian Webley-Fosbery which I actually measured. They were designed for a hollow based bullet, but are capable of good accuracy with soft lead solid based. I would expect accuracy to deteriorate badly with really hard bullets, though, and reaming the throats to the actual bullet diameter (a better criterion, perhaps, than groove diameter) should fix that.

DOUBLEJK
04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Finally got a chance fer a quick trip ta the pond tonight to try out the newly reamed .45...

Did not have the right rounds with me for a direct comparrison for accuracy before n after but the lube slingin' problem is history...
Before the openin' job the gun was coated with boolit lube real bad in 50-100 shots n so was I...
Now it shoots as clean as any I have....so even if the accuracy was not improved I'm a happy camper....
Accuracy is as good at least as it was with a greater cluster towards the center:) from what I see in this limited test....

9.3X62AL
04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
I took the recently-reamed BisHawk 45 with me to Angeles Shooting Club on Wednesday, which is a plinker's paradise--dozens of steel reaction targets set at 25-100 yards on the pistol range. I had 50 each of two heavy-for-caliber boolits, both loaded atop 15.0 grains of 2400--Lee 310 WFNGC and the RCBS rifle version 325 FNGC, both sized to .454". Both shot very well, and most of the RCBS castings were flung at a buffalo steel cutout at 75 yards, and they grouped closely on the newly-painted steel. Naturally, I had to stand up--and kept that critter ringing! YEE HAW, does this 45 ever shoot! To call me happy is a considerable understatement.

C1PNR
04-29-2005, 07:19 PM
I took the recently-reamed BisHawk 45 with me to Angeles Shooting Club on Wednesday, which is a plinker's paradise--dozens of steel reaction targets set at 25-100 yards on the pistol range. I had 50 each of two heavy-for-caliber boolits, both loaded atop 15.0 grains of 2400--Lee 310 WFNGC and the RCBS rifle version 325 FNGC, both sized to .454". Both shot very well, and most of the RCBS castings were flung at a buffalo steel cutout at 75 yards, and they grouped closely on the newly-painted steel. Naturally, I had to stand up--and kept that critter ringing! YEE HAW, does this 45 ever shoot! To call me happy is a considerable understatement.
Al, is that the outdoor range located up "Little Tehunga Canyon Road" not too far off the 218?
I used to shoot there once a year at the "Hollywood Celebrity Shoot" matches during the early 90's. Very nice facility, I thought.

Later I heard they were going to lose it as a shooting range due to some "stuff" about fire, lead, and whatever else BS reason. Sure hope it's the same one, and still kicking. They had some "interesting" Sporting Clays stations, too.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

DOUBLEJK
04-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Deputy Al...its sure heartnin' to hear your cylinder reamin' responded so well...
I just might have improved the accuracy with the reamin' job n just didn't see it as the test loads were the same ones I used for the Marlin 1894 and after the idea's in that other thread I pulled one a the leftovers n sure nuff the boolit had been sized too small by the taper crimp die and had a taper to boot...
So the RBH might be one mighty accurate handgun yet...:)
Will sure be interested to see how my new 300Gr. MM boolit does outa both...sized correctly n ROLL crimped....

9.3X62AL
04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
C1PNR--

That's the facility, sir. It has rifle ranges to 700 yards, and the clays facility is still there too. It is a mob scene on weekends, although the road washout is really depressing attendance currently. The bridge linking I-210, Osborne Road, and Little Tujunga Cyn Road is set to re-open on 05-05. Now, you have to go around on I-5, SR 14, and drive in 15 miles on a twisty route (San Canyon/Little Tujunga Cyn Rd the back way), interrupted by road construction in a couple spots.

Double JK--

I've found the revolver to now shoot 200 grain SWC's and the 300-325 grainers well after the reaming. Now I can see justification for having a .454" SWC around 250-270 grains made up, plain based and correctly sized.

Bret4207
05-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Al- I feel your pain for all that driving on bad roads to get to the range. Right now it's so wet here I gotta either put the Toy in 4WD or better, use a tractor to go the 1/4 mile to my range. I hear you have a thing called sunshine out west so I guess it works out even in the end.......

9.3X62AL
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Bad weather/roads......about 80% of the backcountry routes in the local mountains are closed due to weather damage, which made turkey hunting pretty tough the past few weeks. S-L-O-W-L-Y, the routes are being repaired--but as usual USFS snivels about lack of funding when they'd rather not deal with a problem. I'll stop here, because I feel a rant coming on.