PDA

View Full Version : Lee melting pot question

Flintsmoke
02-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Lee makes a line of production bottom-pour melter pots - catalog numbers 90009 (110vac/4" clearance), 90008 (220vac/4" clearance), 90022 (110vac/2" clearance), and 90025 (220vac/2"clearance). The pictures of these melters that I have seen in catalogs and on websites don't show much detail of the pot support system, which makes the assemblies appear a bit flimsy, bringing into question their ability to support the advertised 10lbs of metal. Is there anyone who currently owns/uses any of these melters that could provide a little feedback concerning their structural stability (before I go out and buy one)?

Flintsmoke

NuJudge
02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
You'll find lots of strong opinions about Lee pots, but stability is not one of the complaints.

I have both. They have a large aluminum base plate. The electronics are in the (for lack of a better word) tower at the rear, and the pot is supported by being screwed to the tower and the two pillars at the front.

My complaints about the 10 pound pot is that the stopper rod system prevents you from putting an ingot of any size into the pot. The Lee 20 pound pot has a different stopper system which is tucked over in a corner of the pot.

The complaints here on the Board are to the effect that the Lee pot stopper rods leak, sometimes just an occasional drip, sometimes a steady stream. My pots do not have these problems.

I had a Lyman pot before the Lee pots. The Lyman cost a lot more than the Lee pots, its stopper rod leaked, the thermostat burnt up, and I had other complaints.

CDD

Murphy
02-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Flintsmoke,

I've used several different brands of lead pots over the years. Only one wasn't a bottom pour.

As to the stability issue, all were very stable. It would take a pretty good 'operator error' foul up to tip one over spilling it's contents.

As for other 'issues' with lead pots, I don't believe there is any such thing as the 'perfect' one, if there was....we'd all be using it.

Respectfully,

Murphy

Jetwrench
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Flintsmoke,
I have one and like it. It is plenty sturdy. Mine is the 20 lb model. Jetwrench

MT Gianni
02-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I have a 10# lee that pulled out from the attachment screws and sags at a 45degree forward angle. Bought in the early 90's it was replaced with a 20# pot 2 years ago. Lee's policy is to repair or replace for 1/2 retail if it is over 2 years old and I have never decided if it's worth it or not. Gianni.

lovedogs
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm on my second Lee pot. The first was a 10lb. and it's just too small if you're casting bullets of any size. It's also harder to keep at consistent temp. For the price difference the 20 lb. is the way to go. My present 20lb. has the 4 inch clearance, which is handy, also. Mine works fine and Murphy is right, it'd be hard to tip it over. I've no complaints on the Lee pot.

rbstern
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I have the 10 lb. bottom pour. No problems with support. It's very solid.

I've found the key to stopping leaks is to occassionally stick a panel nail, held with a pair of old pliers, up into the pour hole, to clear away any debris.

The ingot size is an issue. As NuJudge stated, the stopper rod is positioned in a way that prevents larger ingots from being dumped in the pot. I've resorted to premelting my larger ingots on a hotplate, and pouring the alloy into the Lee pot. Now, when making ingots, I make them smaller to be compatible with the Lee pot size.

Joe Bob
02-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I've got one and I like it. 'Course it's the only one I've ever owned. It's rock solid, especially since I screwed it down to a piece of plywood. Only reason I did that was to make sure I don't fall on it, in it, over it, or other things that seem to happen to me. When I shot that nail into my hand and pulled it out with my teeth, my wife fainted. See what I mean??
JB

robertbank
02-09-2006, 01:38 AM
I have the Lee 10# pot and like it. I agree a 20# pot would be nicer and if I had the spare coin a 20# Lyman or RCBS would replace it, but I don't so I live with the drips and the slower time to refill. I now pre-melt on a coleman stove and just pour in new alloy as required. Speeds the process up. for the money a 10# Lee is a good buy and I think the 20# pot would be even a better buy.

I haven't tipped it over yet but now I have mentioned it ...if you hear a yell out of the North you will now five thumbs is alive and kicking up NOrth. LOL

Stay Safe

KYRick
02-09-2006, 01:39 AM
I have the Lee 10 pounder, 4" clearance bottom pour and it is a very good value. I too just make smaller ingots.

omgb
02-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I have a Lee 5 lb electric dip pot. Bought it in '77 and it still works. Too small though. I bought a lee 10-2 lb pot in 81 and it still works. It does sag a tad but it works. Again, too small. So, four years ago I bought the 20-4. It works very well and was well worth the money. The pot stays attached to the tower. Don't sweat that part. All of the bottom pour pots I've ever seen leak some if they get dirty. Clean out the holes, clean the rod and poof! no leaks.
R J Talley

fourarmed
02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
The only thing I can add about the 20 pounders is, the 4" clearance is a godsend. Do NOT buy the other one. There is not enough clearance for anything but small molds.

omgb
02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
"The only thing I can add about the 20 pounders is, the 4" clearance is a godsend. Do NOT buy the other one. There is not enough clearance for anything but small molds." .......Ditto
R J Talley

Ken O
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I have a 10 and a 20 pounder. The 10 does drip, I just leave an igot mold under it to catch them, no big deal. I would suggest you go with the 20, only a few bucks more, for the reasons the others have stated above.

ggresham
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm using a Lee Magnum Melter (I think?) and want to cast at 850 degrees. I keep the lead level pretty high. I'm having a hard time getting the heat up. The pot will get to about 700 and then really slow down. When it finally gets to about 800 it almost stops. When I flux or add lead the temp drops back to around 700 and takes about another 20-30 minutes to come back up. Anything I should do differently? Comments appreciated.

chet
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I started casting 2 years from a 30yr layoff and If you can afford the Waage. it is a dream. hold any temp you set it at, I haven't touched the thermostat adj since I set it, hold 800 810 deg right on the money!

Chet

wills
03-07-2006, 08:03 PM
They are not that expensive

Cayoot
03-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Tkhey are not that expensive

That doesn't look like it has much clearence for a mould underneath though!

Tough to use that bottom pour eh? [smilie=l: