PDA

View Full Version : What does moisture do to powder?

Trailblazer
02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I picked up some powder yesterday that had been stored in an old freezer under a leaky roof and there is another 8 lbs. of BLC-2 available for $40. It belonged to one of our club members who died a couple years ago and has been neglected since then. The metal cans are rusty and a few have rust inside the cans. A couple have powder caked on the sides of the containers. It is all dry now and looks and smells OK except the Reloder powders that were in the old Hercules cardboard containers. They have a different odor but I think it might be the cardboard that I smell.

I am wondering what effect the moisture had? I am also trying to decide whether to get the BLC-2. The price is decent and it is in a plastic bottle so it is probably OK but maybe not as it was in a very humid envronment for some time. I also am not sure it would be that useful to me.

Does anybody use BLC-2 for cast bullet loads? Most of my cast shooting is in the 30-30. I also use cast in a 6mmRem, 7-30 Contender, 7mm-08, 30-06, 356 Win and have a 444 that will get some lead down the barrel one of these days. I suppose it might work OK in the 30-30 but would like to hear what experience others have had with it?

sundog
02-05-2006, 11:46 AM
TrailBlazer, BLC-2 is close to H335 in burn rate and not far from 748. WC844 surp is close, too, as is new mfg AA 2230-C (Powder Valley has it cheap). 844 and 2230-C work purdy good with cast in midsize cases - 30-30, 35 Rem, .32 Win Spl, .308, etc. Need pressure to get a good burn and consistent results - no wimpy loads. It would be a good opportunity to use quenched or heat treated boolits.

Check out castpics load data:

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/load_data/load_data.htm

If I could get 8# of BLC-2 for $40 (and it was good) I'd jump all over it. sundog

StarMetal
02-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Corkie,

From what I understand H335 and WW748 are one in the same thing. I don't believe it entirely, but from the lots I've used of both, they are dang close.

Trailblazer,

You can send any questionable powder to me a Joe's Detiorated Powder Disposal Inc.. Better to be safe then sorry. There's no charge for the service, all we ask is that all suspected bad powder is prepaid shipping. PM us for the address.

Joe

Wayne Smith
02-05-2006, 03:31 PM
The ball powders are stored under water, so I don't think the water did anything to it if it's a ball powder. Never used it so I don't know.

Ricochet
02-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Ball powders are produced under water, and IMR powders are watered down in production. They want the powder to adsorb a certain amount of water on the surface, which will then remain relatively stable under most circumstances. What kills smokeless powder isn't humidity, it's high temperature. The U.S. Army long ago set up a monitoring procedure for stored powder with samples of each lot stored at 150°F and observed regularly. Many batches start putting out red fumes in a few months. They have a formula for predicting the life of powder under normal storage conditions based on the accelerated aging at high temperature, and use that to tell when the normally stored stuff needs to be pulled out of service. (After which we buy it as surplus powder.) Keep it cool!

Trailblazer
02-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the input. I perused the loading manuals and the Castpics data and decided to get the powder. I'll burn it in something!

Joe, you must know that all questionable powders must first be thoroughly tested by Trailblazers Questionable Powder Testing Lab before disposal. Of course this often requires testing to destruction. However the Testing Lab does incur regular expenses in its operation and those businesses which help defray expenses will be the first called upon in the event that outside services, such as Disposal, are required. With that in mind, please send $40 to help cover impending expenses. An address will be provided at request via PM. Thank you for your consideration.

JohnH
02-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Can't claim the genius for this, belongs to Junior. Do a search for threads by Junior and you can get the full speel, but the short version is, put your powder in a frost free freezer with the tops removed. Thsi will dehydrate the powder, and you can then put the lids on and leave it in the fridge. Put it in the refridgerator for a day or two before using to help stabilize the temp to ambient.

BFRmaster
02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
You can send any questionable powder to me a Joe's Detiorated Powder Disposal Inc.. Better to be safe then sorry. There's no charge for the service, all we ask is that all suspected bad powder is prepaid shipping. PM us for the address.

Joe

Trailblazer wrote:
Joe, you must know that all questionable powders must first be thoroughly tested by Trailblazers Questionable Powder Testing Lab before disposal. Of course this often requires testing to destruction. However the Testing Lab does incur regular expenses in its operation and those businesses which help defray expenses will be the first called upon in the event that outside services, such as Disposal, are required. With that in mind, please send $40 to help cover impending expenses. An address will be provided at request via PM. Thank you for your consideration.

You should both be aware that engaging the services of an outside consultant in such situations is always considered a "Best Practice". That being the case, BFRmasterConsulting is prepared to extend to you a one-time (or two or three) introductory no-cost trial of our services. Just make your request via PM to get the address where you can send a "sizeable" quantity sample (please round to the nearest 8lb. increment) and our assesment results will be made available to you when we get around to it. ;-)

waksupi
02-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Depending on your location, I'm sure you will find it much better to ship it here, to the Rocky Mountain Ballistics Testing Laboratory, for full destructive testing. We usually charge for this service, but you, being a board member, we will wave the hazmat disposal fee.

Trailblazer
02-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Competitive business I'm in!

Well, I got the BLC-2. The man also gave me more he couldn't sell and was just going to throw away. It's ugly, but there's about 18 lbs. altogether and I have $55 in it. About $3 a lb. Got over a lb. each of H322, H380, and RL-22. Maybe half lb. each of 2400 and RL-7 and then I paid him $15 for 3+ lbs. of W760 on Saturday. Now to get to testing!