PDA

View Full Version : 22-250 ai?

dk17hmr
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Quick question.....To make the AI round can you just fire regular 22-250 ammo in the rifle. Or is it best to aneal new brass, load mid range, and than fire form?

We are looking at a "new" long range shooter.

No_1
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Doug,

The beauty of the original AI designs was the ability to shoot the factory "parent" cartridge in the improved chamber if and when a person was out of hand loaded AI ammo. I have a couple of 30-30's that are AI improved and factory ammo fired in them provides perfectly formed cases. If you desire to hand load unused cases then the annealing of the cases cannot hurt and should improve the life of the formed case.

On another note, I have a contender carbine in 218 Mashburn Bee. Factory ammo fired in it will produce cases split at the neck / shoulder junction every time. For this rifle I MUST anneal all cases if I expect them to last more than 1 shot.

If you have the capability to anneal all cases before hand then I would strongly suggest it.

Robert

FN in MT
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Mine is a HART bbl with minimum chamber specs...I simply fire ANY .22-250 round and I have an AI. Haven't had a single split or problem in 300 rds.

FN in MT

dk17hmr
03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks, that will suffice. We (my dad and I) dont have a 22-250 but have plenty of brass and a set of standard 22-250 Lee dies. If we get the rifle we will just load up all the brass with J-bullets and take it with us to Montana to shoot p-dogs....by the end of the shoot we will have all the brass we will ever need in it.