PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

Prairie Wolf
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Just received a Lee lead pot, 10 lb capacity. (Thanks again E15cap!)

Next I am considering molds.

1. Should I go with 2 cavity, or more? Will this pot keep up?

In .44 mag.
Uses:

Primarily use target shooting, secondary use hunting, up to deer. Was thinking about the 240 grain Lee tumble lube. Also thought about going lighter weight to stretch lead further. Any recommendations?

For .45 ACP

Want cheap plinking, practice rounds. My concern would be on them feeding, my gun is a cheapo Hi point.

For .30-06. Heck I don't know. I don't see myself using this with cast bullets but these addictions are hard to predict. I assume some sort of gas check mold would be best?

For .22 cal. This one might be more likely, since bullets would be small, you'd get a lot per pound. I would probably use .22-250 with light loads. It is fun shooting varmints with a centerfire, this could make it cheaper. I also have a semiauto .223 but, probably would stick to regular bullets with that one.

I can also see myself wanting a 50 cal muzzleloader mold, and buckshot molds. Probably not a slug mold, then again who knows.

sheepdog
03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
On 45 acp I use this. Its great. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48304

Not sure on the rest.

Shiloh
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
For cheap practice and plinking I purchased the LEE TL variety molds. I did so because one can produce a mountain of boolits with sixz banger molds. They also can be sized (If so desired) lubed and loaded the next day.

What I found is that especially in the .45 ACP, the TL 200 gr. SWC is very accurate. Same with the LEE 148 gr. TL wadcutter. The other thing that you will find is that the heavy boolits will empty a pot in a hurry. I just recieved a LEE TL .452 230 TC mold but haven't fired any yet through the 1911.

I have a lot of 2 cavity rifle molds also. Both LEE and Lyman. I don't have any TL rifle molds.

Shiloh

mooman76
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Go with a 2x mould. The pot won't be able to keep up with a 6x and you as a begginer could adjust quicker to a 2 cavity. The ML mould will depend on what kind you get. RBs shoot better and easier out of the traditional MLs where as an inline has a tighter twist and will still shoot a RB as long as you don't push it too hard. The 1-48 twist seems to be a good medium with a 50 cal ML and you can shoot RB and Conicals well.
Some 45 ACPs don't like the SWC bullet but if you know your's does you're good to go there otherwise I'd go with a RN or TC design. Not sure on the others but I think on the .06 the heavier bullets usually do better.

high standard 40
03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
For the 30-06 I would opt for a bullet of 180 gr or better. At the speeds you can push cast bullets performance on game would be better with the heavier bullet. For now I would wait on the .22 till you gain some experience. It can be difficult to cast.

fallout4x4
03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
go with the 452-228-1r (90351) my hi point eats them just fine.

docone31
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Dual cavity. Six cavity are hard enough, a beginner is lucky to get them to co-operate.
With the .30s, definately 180 or over.
With the .45ACP, 200 or better. I prefer pan lubeing, but I read Tumble Lubeing is ok also. Important is sizeing. Real important.
.22, you will know when it is time. Do the .30s first.
With the front stuffer, I would go the Lee Dual cavity mold. Ball, and R.E.A.L. Use roof lead, or stick on wheel weights.
It is all fairly simple.
We will be here for questions.

snaggdit
03-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I have the Lee 452-200 RF (drop at 215gr) and a Hi-Point. Occasionally it will jam, but I think it has to do more with one of my mags. I have a 200 SWC coming, so we will see, but I fired some copper SWC through it last weekend and they fed fine. I started with Lee 2 cavs, and just decided to try a few 6 cavs. I'm getting them this weekend. I don't think I would have had good luck starting with them. The 2 cavs give you a chance to build your skills. You might think about a 180gr RN. Less lead per boolit, but a tad more powder. What is harder for you to come by? If lead is plentiful for you, the 230gr RN should feed fine as well. As was discussed in another thread, this is what the original ball design the 1911 used.

As for the 30-06, I tried a 155gr GC 2R I thought I could use for my SKS and 06. I ended up getting a 180gr GC 1R for the 06 alone. Still working on loads that will work the semi-auto action. I tried fillers with the same loads I had tried without, and had same issues with it not grabbing the next round. Going to up the load next time. My SKS on the other hand flings brass 20 feet. I am going to try backing down a little. Right now, my lightest load I have tried was the most accurate. You mentioned addictions. This is my current fix...

I have been eyeing trying to cast .223, but sounds like it is hard to get them to turn out well. So little lead to heat up the mold and keep it hot. I'll practice a little more first.

Bret4207
03-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Start with a 2 cavity. Learn to cast good boolits first, then worry about numbers. Lee makes some good moulds, so do all the other makers. Read the stickies on casting and using Lee moulds before you get one. Save the 22 for later. I've been casting since the late 70's and still have problems with 25 cal, much less the 22's.

For your 44 pick something with a FLAT BASE between 200 and 250 gr. Whatever design tickles your fancy.

For the 45 it's hard to beat the standard RN to ensure good feeding in an auto. Avoid bevel bases.

For 30-06 try something at least 180 gr and with a gas check.