PDA

View Full Version : where can i find arsnic?

rufracer
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
i need some for heat treating and dont kno where to find it. how do you guys get it?

felix
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Best to get in alloy form. The typical sources on the board. ... felix

Ole
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Magnum shot has arsenic in it.

You only need a little.

Recluse
03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd get it easiest from shot, then from alloys available from various folks who support the forum. Would NOT recommend acquiring it in raw form and trying to melt/mix it in your alloy yourself. VERY DANGEROUS! Also very difficult.

I have a friend who is a longtime commercial caster. I was being stubborn as all get-out one time and insisted on mixing in my own arsenic to harden things up. He said okay and had me out to his place and made me do it. After the first few prep steps (the way he does it), I was ready to say the you-know-what with it--but he wasn't having any of it. Made me go through the whole thing.

Now I just pick up a little alloy with extra arsenic mixed in that he prepares and leave him a six-pack or two. Not even going to explain what all he/we did because I'd hate for someone to read it, then go try it themselves without supervision by someone who truly knows how to do it and how to do it SAFELY.

Maybe some folks will say it isn't such a big deal. To me, it was. Bio and chemical hazards scare me. They can do damage that can't be undone. And there is a reason why arsenic is deadly.

:coffee:

rhead
03-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Mag shot has it. You may be able to find some wheel weights that do not have any but I have never checked any that did not have at least .005 to .01 %. Usually a little more. What alloy are you using? Have you tried heat treating some of what you are using?

Shiloh
03-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Magnum shot has arsenic in it.

You only need a little.

Fortunately.

Magnum shot like most items component related has gone WAY up.

Shiloh

Ricochet
03-12-2009, 07:27 AM
And you don't have to add arsenic to heat treat it, anyway.

paul edward
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
You might find it in the hardware store next to "Old Lace".

BerdanIII
03-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Stay away from it, do not try to buy it, forget you ever thought about trying to buy it. I used to work for a secondary lead smelter and we got box car shipments from ASARCO in Mexico for the shot tower (or, more correctly, well). The reason we had to get it from Mexico was because the Government shut down all the refiners in the U.S. The drums leaked and and the inside of the box car was dusted with arsenic (too bad for the rats). After talking to the guys doing the unloading, I took a VERY long shower before going back to the office (I was wearing a respirator). Exposure to that was the one thing that really bugged me about the work.

JeffinNZ
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Check my coffee after my wife makes it for me...................

buck1
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Wheel wts has it in it. Hardened shot has it in it. It dont take much, so if your alloy is ww based or has WW in it ,You are good to go. Very Toxic stuff....