PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag Loads for Ranch Dog Blts

1Shirt
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Got the mold, casts great, just ran 350 of them, checked and LLA lubet 300 of them and sized to .358. Great looking blt. The balance I will lube with Lars when I get the time. Looking for loads for .357 for my Win 94. Would like to work with 2400, as it has always been my favorite with 158-160 grainers. However if there are other tried and true powders that are better for this blt which casts 187 finished from my alloy would welcome the advise.
Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

LeadThrower
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I use Accurate 9 for my magnum, both in revolver and lever. My notes aren't in front of me, but I do know I've shot 10 grains under the 215TC in the revolver and 10.4 gr under the 215TC in the lever (with magnum primers). I don't recall loads for my other boolits, but Accurate's current data says 12.6 gr is max load under a 180 grain wide flat nose gas checked lead bullet (11.3 gr starting load).

runfiverun
03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
start about 7 grains and work on up.

looseprojectile
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
If you really want to shoot some frisky loads in your 94 Winchester check this out.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/357_magnum_and_the_literature.htm

Down at the bottom he talks about a load with a 200 grain boolit.

I grew up in the fifties trying to wring out all I could get from the .357. Had to take some cases out in three pieces, I know, I know. Who knows what the pressure must have been? This in a Ruger Flattop .357. Strong guns!!!!
I have the RD 190 grain mould and have been exploring the use of Lil Gun powder in more than the books say loads, using the .38 special case and crimping in the lower crimp groove. Shooting them in a Rossi 92. Pretty intense in the model 28 Smith. Might make a short range Elk gun out of the old 94 [smilie=1:.

YMMV

Life is good

1Shirt
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Guys, As always good words of wisdom, particularly with the reference to Paco's article which I printed off. Not that I would want the 357 as a deer rifle, if it were legal here in Ne. However as an under 100 yd deer rifle with the right load would see no reason why it would not do just great. The last time I checked, the 357 in a rifle was not legal for deer here, and I understand also in a number of other states. However it was legal in a handgun. Go figure! The Paco comparison to deer killing ability of some of the old black pdr rifles makes a most interesting point of contention. Like AA9, Unique, and 2400 and always have on hand. Am not prone to loading max loads in much of anything unless the max load is the most accurate when I have worked up to same. That said, a great looking heavy for the ctg blt. like the RD deserves to be worked up and loads wrung out. Will stay with plain base cast for the under 1200 fps or such, but for rifle loads that will run in excess of 15-1600, will use gas checks. Have the 158 Thompson, and now the 190 Dog, and they should provide me with what ever I need. Either would be very adequate for hogs or yotes. Now I need the weather and the time to get some of these down range. Again Thanks!
1Shirt!:coffee::castmine:

Muskrat Mike
03-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Got the mold, casts great, just ran 350 of them, checked and LLA lubet 300 of them and sized to .358. Great looking blt. The balance I will lube with Lars when I get the time. Looking for loads for .357 for my Win 94. Would like to work with 2400, as it has always been my favorite with 158-160 grainers. However if there are other tried and true powders that are better for this blt which casts 187 finished from my alloy would welcome the advise.
Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread.

My RD mold throws them at about 181 grains with my alloy and I've been loading them with 15.0 Lil Gun and shooting them in my Marlins. Don't trust my typing or my load without checking elsewhere but I've been happy with it.:castmine:

1Shirt
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Got to the range today and shot 25 of these great blts over 7.6gr. of Blue dot, Win Br, Win Mag Pr. 10 shots at 50 yds rested w/M94 Win, open sights stayed in 2.3", cut a nice clean wadcutter type hole in the target. Lubed with LLA sized .358, w/OAL 1.64". Nice looking load. With my old eyes, I am well satisfied. Will try AA9 and Lil'Gun next.