PDA

View Full Version : Experienced casters advice needed -leading issues.

gary0529
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
OK,
Just returned from the range and I fired off 50 of my first creations. 200 gr. TC 45 ACP , Lyman's #2 mix from Rotometals so I am pretty sure the mix was OK.

They were Alox lubed yesterday and loaded this morning to what should have been a mild load of 6 gr. Unique, CCI LP primer./

Accuracy was great- Using a custom model 1911 I was in the 10 ring consistently at 7 yards all offhand shooting.

Upon returning to the mancave and cleaning the weapon I was dismayed to find a considerable level of streaking down the grooves-evenly distributed through the lenght of the barrel.

In the process of letting Ed's Red work on the gunk as we write.

Where did I get off track?
Help appreciated.

Gary

BD
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Light consistent streaks full length in the grooves, without significant buildup against one side of the lands, sounds a lot like some copper fouling left in the barrel before going to cast. Or, if it's a new barrel, it could be needed some break in, or lapping.
BD

docone31
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Gary, my post got dropped here.
What size was your casting in relation to your bore?
Sizing is I believe, critical to non leading.

Shiloh
03-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Sizing is critical. You stated good accuracy. Did the groups open up as you proceeded?
Is the leading just gray streaks in the barrel that can be easily brushed out, or of the built up soldered on variety? Sizing to .452 is probably the most common sizing. Is this what you are sizing too?? You're right about your powder charge, it is low midrange according to my Lyman 48th edition load book.

Shiloh

Shiloh

gary0529
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks,
Re: sizing-shot them as cast .4525"

Would have run them thru sizer but did not receive top punch til today(pm) and I got antsy this morning and loaded what I had.

Gary
Barrel is well broken in- well over 1000 rounds of mostly jacketed thru it.

Bret4207
03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Clean the barrel of all copper fouling. And forget the soaking, use a worn bore brush and some Chore Boy scrubber or 4/0 steel wool. Then you can see if what you have is leading or lube fouling or maybe just powder fouling. If it's definitely lead then check your size again, or more accurately, check to see what size your boolits are after seating them. IE- See if your die or brass is sizing the boolit during seating. They may go in at .4525 but the seater and brass may size them to .450 without you knowing it.

GrizzLeeBear
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Have you slugged the bore so you know what size you should be looking for? If your bore slugs out at .450 -.451 your boolits should be fine as cast.
The comments on getting all the copper fouling out are good also. Might take several passes of alternating bore cleaner (to get powder fouling out) and copper remover like Sweets 7.62 to get through the layers and down to bare metal.

gary0529
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Will do the above recommendations re: thorough cleaning of barrel and then I will subject it to the Outer's Foul Out 3 first with the copper solution and then with the lead.
Sucker should be squeaky clean after Chore Boy, Sweets and Foul Out.

Will also slug the barrel but kind of think the problem lies with the bullet.

I will remeasure the rounds after seating and crimping just to be sure.

Thanks for the insights.

Gary

runfiverun
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
if all that fails cut the #2 with some pure 50-50.
then if it still leads, rework how you are lubing them.

Boerrancher
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
In a few of my barrels there is a bit of leading but it never gets any worse when I shoot so I quit worrying about it. My 30-30 has a small patch of lead about half way up the bore. It has been there for the last 500 rounds and hasn't gotten any larger and I am still shooting sub MOA groups with it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

rugerman1
03-11-2009, 05:23 AM
....They were Alox lubed yesterday and loaded this morning to ...

If that was Lee Liquid Alox,I'd suggest you wait longer before loading to insure the loob has dried.