PDA

View Full Version : Experienced casters advice needed -leading issues.

gary0529
03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
OK,
Just returned from the range and I fired off 50 of my first creations. 200 gr. TC 45 ACP , Lyman's #2 mix from Rotometals so I am pretty sure the mix was OK.

They were Alox lubed yesterday and loaded this morning to what should have been a mild load of 6 gr. Unique, CCI LP primer./

Accuracy was great- Using a custom model 1911 I was in the 10 ring consistently at 7 yards all offhand shooting.

Upon returning to the mancave and cleaning the weapon I was dismayed to find a considerable level of streaking down the grooves-evenly distributed through the lenght of the barrel.

In the process of letting Ed's Red work on the gunk as we write.

Where did I get off track?
Help appreciated.

Gary

docone31
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
What did you size the casting to?

Shiloh
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
As stated by docone32, That is my question also.

Was accuracy consistent or did the groups open up?? Is your leading just a streak that comes out with some back and forth with a brush, or the kind that seems to be soldered to the bore??

Let us know!

Shiloh

Buckshot
03-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Accuracy was great- Using a custom model 1911 I was in the 10 ring consistently at 7 yards all offhand shooting.

Gary

............Of course you'd like ZERO leading, but non-accumulative leading when accompanied by good accuracy isn't a big problem. Neither is it difficult to remove, as basically each boolit fired cleans up the previous and then leaves it's own small bit. A couple passes with a bristle brush and it's history. Not saying don't try to refine the load, just dont' toss the recipe out as worthless.

...............Buckshot

Reddot
03-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Did you make sure your barrel was clean before your started?

BD
03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I think I answered this same thread yesteday, but my post is gone? Anyway, this sounds like some copper fouling left in the bore prior to shooting the lead. I've seen this result in a lead "wash" in the grooves, which doesn't really build up against one side of the lands like the classic leading from undersized boolits.

BD

felix
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Especially with high antimony, low tin boolits such as WW. Antimony has barbs and they poke through the "skin" if not enough tin to compensate. Advantage: leading will not build up over time. I personally like to see a minor wash because that lets me know I am pretty much at max velocity with that acceleration curve, proper compensating tin or not. ... felix

dk17hmr
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
How many coats of LLA did you use?

I have only had marginal success with LLA when only using 1 coat. I like using 1 coat of LLA than a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax for bulk pistol bullets.

gary0529
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the great input.
I cleaned the beejesus out of the barrel, slugged it at .4525 (or as close as my digital Chinese mic can do).

Will give the remaining boolits a second coat of Alox and go back to the range in the next few days and see what shakes.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Gary

putteral
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
You might want to reduce your load. I just checked on Handloads.com and they say for a 200gr LSWC 5.1 grs of Unique is max, giving 810fps. I use that load in my Charles Daley EFS and find it very accruateand no leading.