PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Tusker Spec Sheet

Dixie Slugs
03-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Some of you have been following our development of slug/bullet for today's rifled shotgun barrels. The attached spec sheet is for the Dixie Tusker and is designed to match the 1893 H&H load. The H&H load called for a 600 gr bullet at 1500'/".
Most of todays rifled barrels are the same as Hasting's, which is .727" in the grooves and .716" on the lands.
This rifled barrels turn the lowly smoothbore into a real big bore rifle! They can be quite interesting to shoot and hunt with. Many of the same details you know about cast bulllets in general, apply to these big bore loads.
Regards, James

BD
03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
That's a good lookin' slug. What's it weigh?
BD

garandsrus
03-10-2009, 09:49 AM
James,

Do you have a mold for those? Are you selling any slugs? I would like to try some...

Thanks,
John

03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Now you did it. That slug would make me step into the world of shotgun slug reloading. Please provide details. Is that mould type for sale? Slugs for sale? Is a group buy (from somebody besides good old one year wait Lee) in the near future? Please advise, as I am interested.

44man
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
James, of course you need to tell us how to load it! :Fire:

Dixie Slugs
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Let's see what's first! The mold will drop at about 600 grs. depending on the alloy. This is the bullet we put in our Dixie Tusker. We push it at 1550'/" from a 20" Hasting rifled barrel. Todd Corder tested it at the Linebaugh Semianar and it penetrated as deep as the 416 Rigby..the write up can be seen on the Dixie Forum. We have gotten some good reports on large game with this load.
Now....We are not in the component bullet business as such, but about two times a years we run some for our friends. We put a notice on the forum.
As for loads....Blue Dot, X12X overpowder wad, .250" Circle Fly nitros and 3/8" felt/cork. More detail can be given if anyone gets a mold cut.
Anyone that wants a mold cut is welcome to use our spec sheet. The .250" notro should be put under the slug/bullet. Note the thick skirts that keep the wads from blowing into the hollow. Unlike soft Foster slugs, this one is designed not to expand in the skirt area. However, if cast from pure lead, it's great in smoothbore barrels. At 1500='/", it will match the 1893 H&H load I mentioned.
Regards, James

Johnch
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM
All I can say is WOW

Almost makes my shoulder hurt just reading about it

How dose the Badger rifled barrel compare to the Hasting rifled barrel ?
As I was looking at a Badger barrel

John

Dixie Slugs
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
John.....I really do not know about Badger barrels. I think Gregg Sappington worked with them and it seems like they are 1 in 28" twist. The reason we test in Hastings barrels is because they seem to be the most popular.Ii think all barrels are about the same bore and groove.
The Tusker recoils about like a 3" Turkey load. It's 600 gr weight breaks down to 1.37 oz or 1 3/8 oz,
However the reloader can reduce the velocity to around 1200'/" and it still serve quite well. We use, and suggest, an Alox 350 wash.
If I am ot mistaken, some of the fellows here got the specs and cut some molds.
The Tusker held up well in the Linebaugh Bone Box and we have a vidio showing the test that will be on the Dixie page soon.
Regards, James