PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing during smelting

Duckiller
02-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Was melting wheelweights today using parafin as flux. Fluxed twice, fumes ignighted both times. I flinched both times and since I had a soup ladle in the lead both times I threw lead. First time just a little bit. Second time I redecorated the immediate vicinity including the shirt I was wearing. No real damage to anything or me but I NEED some advice. A welders apron would probably help. In the past I have used my casting pot to melt down wheelweights and fluxed with bullet lube. Having read several posting on smeting the consensus seem to be that one should not use a casting pot (especially not a bottom pour Lee) for smelting. Today I was using a fairly large cast iron pot that I had acquired for smelting. If I use parafin a flux ,the fumes are going to ignite and I will flinch. Sooner or later I will hurt myself or someone or something near me. Does anyone have a different flux that might not ignite or a way to keep the fumes from igniting. Thanks

David R
02-04-2006, 08:17 AM
#1 Its not worth getting hurt

Just ignite the flux before it self ignites. It won't be a surprise. I use a propane torch.

David

anachronism
02-04-2006, 08:24 AM
#1 Its not worth getting hurt

Just ignite the flux before it self ignites. It won't be a surprise. I use a propane torch.

David

Or toss a match into the pot, the heat from the alloy will light it, and you can skim it off with the dirt removed by fluxing. Another alternative is to flux with Marvelux, from Brownells. It doesn't burn, but it does leave a residue that attracts, and holds moisture to the pot itself, leading to rust after the pot cools. I've heard of many things being used for flux, and I've tried a few of them, but always come back to beeswax.

NVcurmudgeon
02-04-2006, 02:52 PM
There are several casters on this board who flux by stirring with a stick. I must remember to try that next time I fire up the pot.

imashooter2
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
There are several casters on this board who flux by stirring with a stick. I must remember to try that next time I fire up the pot.

I flux my casting pot by stirring with a pine dowel. Works well, but I've always used candle stubs for smelting. A while back I read on here of someone whose father fluxed with tightly rolled newsprint. I intend to try that next time I smelt. More surface area and constantly renewed fresh material should get a lot more carbon into the melt than just a dowel.

waksupi
02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I flux my casting pot by stirring with a pine dowel. Works well, but I've always used candle stubs for smelting. A while back I read on here of someone whose father fluxed with tightly rolled newsprint. I intend to try that next time I smelt. More surface area and constantly renewed fresh material should get a lot more carbon into the melt than just a dowel.

I'm a stick fluxer from way back, but am also going to try the rolled up paper thing. And be sure I have something to put it out with ,should it burst into flame! Seems like a good idea to try.

jar-wv
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I also flux with parrafin and just wait for it to flame up and burn out before stirring. should I be stirring before this?

jar

David R
02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Just don't use a stick AND parrafin. It makes a candle in your hand. Done it.

I melt some boolit lube, then throw in a spoon ful of tumbler media (corn cob) it burns well and doesn't smell too bad.

I tried a piece of maple firewood that had been split into a point. It doesn't seem to work for me, but YMMV.

David

imashooter2
02-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I also flux with parrafin and just wait for it to flame up and burn out before stirring. should I be stirring before this?

jar

You should be stirring while it burns.

waksupi
02-05-2006, 02:29 AM
We need someone to supply us with pinion pine sticks. I don't know anyone who complains about the smell of that. I got to really likeing it, when in the Santa Fe and Taos area.

danski26
02-05-2006, 01:12 PM
How often do you need to flux during smelting WW?

David R
02-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I flux ONCE the wheel weights are all melted.

I read this here and give full credit to Bullshop for posting it.

You need some kind of carbon that will burn. I never realized that the flames on top are helping melt the tin back into the rest of the pot.

In my casting pot, I hold a stick of boolit lube in the pot till I get a small puddle, then I throw a table spoon or teaspoon of corncob media into the pot. Stir for a couple of seconds and light it. Keep stirring preferably from the bottom up and top down. When the flames go out and the lube is all burned off or dried up all you should have left is a carbon dust like powder (and some gas checks if you threw back a few rejects). Take that off with a slotted spoon, table spoon or what ever. Top of alloy should be mirror bright for at least a few minuts.

I think for fluxing wheel weights as long as there is a bunch of stuff in there that burns like: paper, valve stem, oil, ...Cigar butts.... you don't even need flux. Just my opinion.

If you skim the top and there is some silvery stuff, you need more flux because that is probably tin.

David

grumble
02-05-2006, 02:38 PM
We need someone to supply us with pinion pine sticks. I don't know anyone who complains about the smell of that. I got to really likeing it, when in the Santa Fe and Taos area.

Tell me what you want, Waksupi!! Green or cured, bark on or bark off, length and diameter.

If you've been around pinyon, you know they can have a lot of sticky sap. I can also send you some pinyones, the "pine cone" the nuts are packaged in. LOTS of sap in those.

waksupi
02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Tell me what you want, Waksupi!! Green or cured, bark on or bark off, length and diameter.

If you've been around pinyon, you know they can have a lot of sticky sap. I can also send you some pinyones, the "pine cone" the nuts are packaged in. LOTS of sap in those.

Beggars ain't choosy, Jim. Finger size, foot long, dry. Should be easy to come by, I guess. Don't really need them, just like the smell!

robertbank
02-05-2006, 03:07 PM
D.O.K on here uses potatoes for his flux. Tried it, you want to be sure your potatoes are dried, works neat and sure does the job. I just put them on the end of an old fork and stir. As far as WW are concerned I always melt them down in a separate pot, flux and pour the alloy into ingots then use them later for casting from my casting pot. For me it is to much of a mess dealing with raw WW more than once.

Stay Safe

nighthunter
02-05-2006, 03:56 PM
My father taught me to flux with rolled newsprint. He was a cable splicer for the phone company and wiped many a lead joint. I also remember him doing body work on automobiles using copper screen and lead. The newsprint works best the tighter you roll it. It will scorch and burn and you will end up with nice shiney and clean metal. He learned this about 60 years ago and it still works today. A lot of things from the past are becomeing a lost art a lot too fast.
Nighthunter

Blackwater
02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Ink in newsprint or other printed materials is supposed to be rather non-friendly to humans, isn't it? Is there a problem with this ink going gaseous, and maybe our inhaling something we shouldn't??? Had a friend in the printing business, and he said the biggest problem with ink is that it and associated chemicals aren't good for us homo sapiens types. Of course, knowing some of this group, I'm not sure that's a real big problem. ;-)

Seriously, will the ink go gaseous and do any harm??? I'm thinking cancer and lung problems here.

imashooter2
02-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Ink in newsprint or other printed materials is supposed to be rather non-friendly to humans, isn't it? Is there a problem with this ink going gaseous, and maybe our inhaling something we shouldn't??? Had a friend in the printing business, and he said the biggest problem with ink is that it and associated chemicals aren't good for us homo sapiens types. Of course, knowing some of this group, I'm not sure that's a real big problem. ;-)

Seriously, will the ink go gaseous and do any harm??? I'm thinking cancer and lung problems here.

Newsprint ink is vegetable based and non toxic. You can eat newsprint by the pound if you need more roughage.

nighthunter
02-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Inhale ... not by me said Clinton. Maybe we need to get him into casting a few booliits other than sniffing cruise missle fumes. He is definately a good old boy ain"t he ............... Not.. Him and and a few others gotta go this comeing election day. This includes his SIGINICANT other. They were both dateing the same girl in college .Hillary is as about as anti-americanism as an American can get and still remain on the the tight rope hopeing no one lets go on either end.
Nighthunter

Johnch
02-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I just use saw dust and stir it in .

Johnch