PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

Charlie Sometimes
03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Obviously BABBITT for one, and something similar on the other- any ideas on the alloy contents?

2 ingots, both old-

#1 is marked Syracuse Smelting Works, Government Genuine Syracuse Babbitt, Used the World Over, Registered, and two inward facing Indian Heads. This one has more lead due to the dark gray appearance.

#2 is marked Magnolia AntiFriction Metal, Reg. US Pat. Off., and on the back is C2457. This one has less oxidization, but still looks gray.

Charlie Sometimes
03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I can't seem to find anything on the internet about these- anybody have ideas?

MtGun44
03-12-2009, 05:24 PM
most babbits are high tin content, many add small amounts of copper to increase
the compressive strength. I assume you know that babbit is for pouring
journal bearings. Copper is bad for boolits, but if you use this in dribs
to add to alloy to improve fillout in the molds, the Cu in final alloy will be very low, so
possibly OK.

There are a zillion babbit recipes, not much standardization, but usually high tin %.

Bill

randyrat
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Try this search http://www.thomasnet.com/products/babbitt-metals-50660802-1.html
You may find what your looking for. Also i could take you a while.

Charlie Sometimes
03-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys forthe info.
I couldn't get a good track onto anything of value- maybe this will be better than what I had.
Yea, it can take a while reading this stuff.
There is so much out on the internet now that it must be dang near imposssible to review anything properly.
The Magnolia bar is the one I am most concerned with being "AntiFriction Metal" rather than babbitt.

DoubleBarrel
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Charlie Sometimes, I have some of this too, and this is what I came up with: 80%Pb,15%Sb and 5%Sn. It is supposed to be better than Babbit, containing a small amount of graphite. DoubleBarrel

glicerin
03-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I believe they're both babbit metal, either tin-based(80% Sn, rings like a bell, shiny, not too heavy), or lead-based(80% pb, less ring, more dull and soft to a hammer blow, heavy). Both useful for alloying.

Charlie Sometimes
03-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks again guys. I was concerned that the Anti-Friction metal had high copper or something in it. It is not as tarnished/oxidized as the other, and they are both OLD.

Double Barrel- Where you in Northern WV?

DoubleBarrel
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Charlie Sometimes, I'm up near Morgantown. Am presently on search for more Pb, but it seems to be getting harder to find shops willing to part with WW in this area.