PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 special flatop

Heavy lead
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Anybody aquired or laid eyes on one of these yet?

Firebricker
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
No not yet but I've sure been lookin and asking about em. I already told a small local dealer I want the first one he can get. I think gun blast.com has a review on em. FB

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I have one. Good gun, easier to carry than SBhwk, but more recoil with max
loads. Use the search function, there were several threads when they came out.

Bill

FN in MT
03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I was all excited over them until I handled one. I have to admit I have NEVER been a real Ruger pistol fan. But the idea of the SBH frame size in .44 Spcl intrigued me.

A local FFL got one from a big Distributor for a guy and I handled it when he unpacked it, to log in the SN, etc. I was REALLY amazed at how poor the action felt as well as the gun being obviously out of time. The force required to cock the action varied as you rotated the cylinder. Felt the same way a double action Smith or Colt would feel if the ejector rod was bent.

And once cocked ........the slop between the bolt and the cyl notch was excessive as well.

ALL of this is fixable I know.....but I thought it was still a dissapointment.

YMMV

FN in MT

felix
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Typical for any gun bought over the counter. It's a "who knows" thing. Assume all guns have to be customised these days. Example: old model ruger 22 mag/LR; firing pin broke within 1000 rounds. Never shot straight with either cylinder. Sent gun back to ruger to fix firing pin, and raised hell about accuracy with either cylinder. Gun came back with new internals having transfer bar, lawyer trigger. BUT, it shot as good as the gun can be held with either cylinder. SO, I KNOW they can be fixed correctly. ... felix

jwhite
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I have of the 5.5" barreled versions, great gun, locks up tight and shoots well the little that I have had a chance to shoot it. BUT the front sight is rolled off of top dead center several degrees so I have to crank my rear sight to the right almost to the end of my adjustment. I hate the thought of sending it back into Ruger but I don't think I can live with it the way it is now. My father-inlaw got one the same time I did and his also has a front site that is not lined up. Kind of a bummer after waiting so long.

JW

Heavy lead
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
That is too, bad, there were some people here that had the same problem with the Ruger 44magnum flatop also, I got lucky with mine.
Ruger's got to get there crap together. I won't buy one now. I'll just have one made on a three screw.
Myself, I'm getting sick of buying stuff and sending it in right away, in this day and age there is no excuse for letting something out like that.

Dale53
03-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, I have a flat top ordered but no idea when it'll get here. Maybe they will learn how to make them by the time mine gets to me.

One can only hope...

Dale53

Tom Herman
03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
That is too, bad, there were some people here that had the same problem with the Ruger 44magnum flatop also, I got lucky with mine.
Ruger's got to get there crap together. I won't buy one now. I'll just have one made on a three screw.
Myself, I'm getting sick of buying stuff and sending it in right away, in this day and age there is no excuse for letting something out like that.

I hear ya! I have had three bad Rugers (.45 LC Redhawks) in a row: None of them extracted well, and I had other various issues.
They all went out for service. I wish Ruger had done things right the first time.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

FN in MT
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
You would think they could take a little extra time to get it done right. But I guess extra time hurts the bottom line. Then again those UPS fees to return then send back is money wasted as well.

I was SO excited about these .44's , thought they were such an intelligent offering. Too bad Ruger is beiing run by the Beancounters and not shooters.

I'm glad I have my FA M-97 in .44 spcl. Arrives from the factory PERFECTLY tuned with ZERO issues. Yeah it's expensive but worth it.

FN in MT

AnthonyB
03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I have had one of the 4 3/4 versions for a few weeks and it appears to be about as good as it gets from Ruger. The action feels much better than my 50th Anniversary .44 Mag, and I love the balance. Work has kept me from getting to the range, but I'm in the process of loading 1000 cases from Starline with the Skelton load and the RCBS 44-250K HP. This is shaping up to be my new favorite revolver. Tony

WARD O
03-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I am kind of a 44 special fan and had been enjoying my 1950's S&W 44 special so much I decided to add another.....

I first bought the M97 4 1/4" in 44 special with the rounded butt and liked it so much I bought another M97 44 special with a SO 6 1/2" barrel and have never been unhappy with either. Both will accurately handle any load I care to send through them from 180 grain on up to 300 in either jacketed or lead. Absolutely my favorite handguns!

I also recently bought two of the Ruger FT 44 specials - one in each barrel length and am in process of playing with the 5 1/2" these days. I like to tinker with the guns myself and the Ruger is ripe for tinkering!

I have always preferred blued guns over stainless and the Rugers appeal to me more in this respect. Perhaps at some future time I will add some case colors to the Rugers.

The FA 97's will outshoot the Ruger but not by much - the Ruger is no slouch when it comes to accuracy. I have not run the variety of ammo thru the Ruger yet so I don't know if it will like all bullets as well as the FA's do but time will tell. I do not care much for the new grips Ruger is using these days but haven't yet found a suitable replacement. Here in Minnesota the weather is finally starting to lose it's white look and I am sure I will be spending more time at the range comparing these 44 specials!

In the back of mind I am still considering USFA's offerings.

I am simply glad to see some nice choices out there in 44 special factory offerings!

Ward

Irascible
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
"But the idea of the SBH frame size in .44 Spcl intrigued me."
It's not a SBH frame. It's the 7/8 size which started in the New Vaquero and Anniversary editions. These 44 special guns are a custom lot from the distributer - Lipseys.
I got mine last night and will shoot it today. I ordered both barrel lengths, but only the 5 1/2 is out so far. The grip is a bit smaller than i like, but the rest of the gun was done well. It is marked "44 Spcl New Model Blackhawk", the "Ruger Bible" is on the bottom of the barrel out of sight. The rear sight is a genuine Micro like the orighinal flat tops and has the Micro script on it. It has the ability to be locked, but thank heavens that is out of sight, you have to remove the grip panel to get to the lock. All in all a nice gun in a great caliber.

targetshootr
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm going to get one as soon as someone gets tired of theirs. Already have a stable of guns in that caliber so it's hard to justify buying one new. My 44 mag anniversary is surprisingly tight and accurate and the front sight is taller than usual, so on balance I think they are doing some things better than they used to.

Irascible
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Just came in from shooting my new one. Took it out of the box, ran some Ed's red patches through the cylinder and the barrel, changed the trigger spring to a Wolf's 30oz model and took it outside. Fired at a metal plate, moved the sight one turn to the right, moved back to 25 yards and shot 2 handed, standing. This resulted in a 6 shot, 2"H X 2 1/"W, group on the first firing with the first load. MARVELOUS! It's a keeper.
The only bullets I had cast were 429421 HP from WW and 429215 GC from Lyman #2 alloy. I chose the 429215 loaded over 10gr of AA#7 (approx Blue Dot speed) with a Fed 150 primer in new WW cases.

Dale53
03-18-2009, 02:12 AM
I rascible;
I'm just a bit jealous (not really, but you get the idea:mrgreen:). I will get mine when it gets here, I guess:roll:. I have plenty of bullets cast (H&G #503 250 gr Keith SWC).

My favorite load for the .44 Special is the Skeeter load (7.5 grs of Unique behind the 240-250 Keith). I have four other .44 Specials and mine ARE Special (to me, at least:mrgreen:). I have a Model 24 (6½"), 624 (4"), 624 (6½"), and a Cimarron Colt Clone 4 5/8". All of them shoot extremely well and I have enjoyed them all. The Cimarron shoots excellent grpups but needs regulated (shoots a bit low and left).

I certainly do not NEED the Ruger but the combination intrigues me. I ordered the 5½" barrel. I hope I get a good one, as I have waited since the late fifties on this revolver. If it shoots well, I may sell the Cimarron because of the fixed sights. That is not definite, tho' as it is such a pretty revolver with a fine trigger.

Dale53

Irascible
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
At the request from a friend, I pulled the cylinders from the New Blackhawk and an older Blackhawk 44 Mag. The new cylinder is .090" shorter and .050" smaller diameter. The old cylinder will not fit in the window of the New Blackhawk.

Irascible
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Dale 53 - I've heard all good things about the Unique load, but I can't seem to get around the difficulty in running it through a powder measure. I work all around that burning rate, but won't use Unique. Just a personal idiosyncrasy. The #7 load was out of Taffins Book of the 44. He commented on his model 24 and said that 11gr of #7 was most accurate. I dropped to 10 for a starting load and will work from there. My normal bullet will either be the latest 250K from RCBS or the 200gr Cowboy from Saeco both are excellent in my 44 mag guns. The Saeco bullet is used in 44 Spcl cases over 3.5gr of Accurate #2 for Cowboy Action Shooting and does a fine job. I also use it from my 1873 Winchester clone in 44 special over 5gr of trail boss.
I hope you get yours soon, mine is really tight and timed and everything is well fitted.

Dale53
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Irascible;
I run Unique through my Dillon 550B powder measure without a problem. It seems to weigh +or- .1 grain in the Dillon measure. It shoots "extremely" well:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img030.jpg

This was shot with my 624 (6½") at 25 yards standing. I hadn't shot this particular revolver for a while and couldn't remember where it was sighted. So, I held right on the bottom of the ten ring for the first shot (wanted all tens and this would guarantee me a ten whether it was sighted for point of aim or six o'clock IF I DID MY PART). I was sighted for point of aim. I raised my poa to the center of the bull and sent the last five into this tiny group. Normally I do this sort of thing where no one sees it (and it becomes an urban myth:roll:). However, this day, I had witnesses and it did nothing to diminish my shooting reputation:mrgreen:. Can I do this at will? Heck no, you see I am still talking about it... However, on a good day I can still do it, even tho' I have lost 50% vision in my shooting eye IF I USE A RED DOT SIGHT. This particular target was with the issue iron sights.

If I were having trouble with Unique or lost confidence in that load, I would try Win 231. It measures VERY well and seems to shoot with the best of the target powders. If you have access to a chronograph, weigh up a few of the Skeeter loads, run it through the chronograph and then match it with 231. I'll bet you will like that load.

FWIW

Dale53

Dale53
04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
"My" Ruger order has been all over the place. My dealer is a GOOD friend. He ordered it from Lipsey the same day. Lipsey was slow in getting him "approved" (all of their dealers have to be "approved":confused:). In the meantime "my" Ruger came in but my dealer was told they wouldn't hold it until he was approved:groner:. So, they sent it to someone else. Now, my dealer tells me he was notified that he has now been approved. Of course, there are no more Rugers...

However, they should be in stock in a few weeks(?) and like I said before, I'll get it when it gets here...

Trying to be patient...[smilie=1:

In the meantime it is reassuring to hear all of the positive reports out there.

Dale53

C A Plater
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I've got one "on order" with a local shop. Heard the same "will be available in a few weeks" line too and I am patient enough to wait. I hope it is a good as the .357 version I already have. It came out with proper throats and decent timing. My .45 Bisley needed some work in those areas.

Leadforbrains
04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I am going to pick mine up this weekend. I can't wait. I hope it is a good one.

bowhunter
06-26-2009, 02:12 PM
:castmine:Off subject some but i thought i would share the best 44 sp. Load i have ever tried. That load with unique from dale53 will be hard to beat. Mine is a lyman 215 gr. That drops out around 220 with ww. 17 gr. H4227 or imr 4227 use a mag primer as this is a slow powder. It is very clean and deadly accurate.

softpoint
06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Sometimes I think Ruger gets the front sights on crooked on purpose! It would seem that they would at least get a few on straight by accident! (I know they do , cause I have a few I haven't had to mess with), I've made a pair of V blocks to use in a vise just to turn the barrel to straighrten up the sights on Rugers.[smilie=1:

pdawg_shooter
06-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I was all excited over them until I handled one. I have to admit I have NEVER been a real Ruger pistol fan. But the idea of the SBH frame size in .44 Spcl intrigued me.

A local FFL got one from a big Distributor for a guy and I handled it when he unpacked it, to log in the SN, etc. I was REALLY amazed at how poor the action felt as well as the gun being obviously out of time. The force required to cock the action varied as you rotated the cylinder. Felt the same way a double action Smith or Colt would feel if the ejector rod was bent.

And once cocked ........the slop between the bolt and the cyl notch was excessive as well.

ALL of this is fixable I know.....but I thought it was still a dissapointment.

YMMV

FN in MT

Sounds like a typical Ruger to me.

Bat Guano
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Just picked up a 4 5/8" this week. Not as nicely put together or finished as the 50th Anniversary guns, but everything is there. Another "work in progress". Very smooth barrel, chambers. Action work indicated.

Chamber mouths miked out at .431, although my inside mike measurements are sometimes suspect.

Took some H&G #503 wheelweight bullets, nominally sized to .429 (really a .430 on the ones I measured) which were loaded over 8.5 gr. Unique. Did some initial firing in stiff breeze which suggested that the gun really wants to shoot. However I got serious streak leading for about 1" forward of the breech. I was hoping NOT to see that.:-?

A few years ago I had the same issue with a .45 Convertible using .452 WW bullets. Took some old .454 Keith SWC loads off the shelf and the leading quit. Cyl. reaming to .4525 helped but going to .454 was the real answer. It is one of my best shooters now and cleanup is a breeze. :-D

I had hoped this gun was not going to lead, but it did. Would a .431 or larger bullet help here?

Anybody else had (and solved) this problem?

Thanks.

AnthonyB
06-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I would try less Unique or a slower powder. Tony

Dale53
06-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Two and a half ADDITIONAL months and it is STILL not here! That is hard on my "do it NOW" personality:mrgreen:. Guess I'll just have to tough it out!

On another thread, I mentioned that my shooting buddy and I ordered a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Ruger to shoot while waiting on our Lipsey Specials. The revolver is well made, absolutely perfect cylinder throats (my .430" bullets hang up in the throat but can be pushed through). The trigger has a YARD of creep but that is fixable (every Ruger I have ever owned required a trigger job). Here is an early couple of targets shot off the bench at 25 yards:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img038.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img037.jpg

This was with the issue sights. I was not having one of my better "vision days" and the two wide shots were definitely me. However, it does show excellent possibilities. Now if my "yet to get here" Lipsey Special shoots as well, I'll be a happy camper.

Dale53

Leadforbrains
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Very nice Dale!
What boolit and load were you shootin those groups with?

Dale53
06-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Those were our Group Buy 200 gr Wad Cutter ahead of 4.5 Bullseye. I had not yet adjusted the sights (was more interested in the groups at the time). I have since adjusted the sights and they now shoot centered (I didn't have my TINY screwdriver with me). Here it is, a large sized big bore revolver with a TINY screw to adjust the sights (makes no sense to me, either:confused::confused:.

But-t-t, it DOES shoot quite well, indeed.

Dale53

Dale53
07-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I was notified today that my 5½" Ruger Lipsey Special (.44 Special on the medium flat top frame) was sent today. It should be here Thursday or Friday. Well, the ammo is loaded, bullets are cast, cases clean, and the shooter (me) is READY TO GO! Yeah, pretty much like a kid in a toy store!!

Ain't life GRAND?:mrgreen:

Dale53

Leadforbrains
07-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations Dale. You are going to love it.

Dale53
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Leadforbrains:
Thank you, kind sir. I've received my tracking information and it is to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I'll pick it up tomorrow evening.

Gee, wonder who will be on the range, Friday? Morning. Early...[smilie=1:

Dale53

ddeaton
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
And look who just got back in town. Someone will have to go with you!

Dale53
07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
ddeaton;
I will need someone responsible to keep me from going into "rapture":mrgreen:.

So-o-o, YOU are elected!! Welcome back to the land of the finest sweet corn in Christendom!

I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this little puppy!

In fact, this morning, I was casting a pot full of 200 gr Group Buy W/C's.

I guess you COULD say that I am "loaded and ready":Fire:

Dale53

Jeff H
07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
ddeaton;
.......I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this little puppy!......Dale53

Glad you got one on the way finally.:-D

Jeff H

Dale53
07-02-2009, 11:47 PM
JeffH;
Yeah, it was getting a bit tiresome stating "I'm still waiting". Well, the wait is over and I hit the range in the A.M.

Dale53

ddeaton
07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Got mine in with Dale's. Rust and grit on frame behind the plastic disk shipping filler. Never seen anything like it on a new gun. Cleaned up ok, but for a new firearm? Now I want to get the Mihec 503 mold soon.

Dale53
07-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I picked up my new Ruger Lipsey Special 5½" yesterday afternoon. I managed to drag myself to the range this morning to shoot it. My back is "out" and I cannot shoot standing (temporary condition, I HOPE:confused:). However, I managed to shoot quite a bit off a rest (not a bench rest, but a rest). I got the revolver sighted in without histrionics and proceeded to shoot my 200 gr W/C load (4.5 grs of Red Dot) and a H&G #503 bullet ahead of an appropriate load of Win 231.

Results were not spectacular but the gun WANTS to shoot. I DO need to improve that trigger, however.

The cylinder throats are at .4315" and VERY close to the same size. The throats and chambers are VERY smooth. Extraction is smooth and easy. The barrel is very smooth and exhibits no tool marks. Polishing is done well and the bluing is nice and even.

All in all, I think this one is a keeper!!

Dale53

Rodfac
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Dale...at last...nice goups...virtually identical to mine in 4 5/8. Glad you finally got it. Guess this means I'll have to stop taunting you. Best regards, Rodfac

Leadforbrains
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Dale,
I'm Glad you got it and you got to go out and shoot it. I have lucked up and found a pretty good load for mine. I am using The Lyman Devastator boolit cast from straight range lead, gas checked and lubed with Lymans moly lube. The powder I'm using is a max charge of N330. Accuracy is good and I'm getting good expansion. This is the only cast boolit .44 mold that I have right now, but I am in on the Mihec Keith 6 cavity mold group buy. I hope to be trying that soon.

crabo
07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I bet the MiHec hollowpoint is going to be a good special shooter.

Dale53
07-06-2009, 11:51 PM
crabo;
We will know before too long. Mihec will start the machines running with the Six Cavity H&G #503 in a couple of days and we should have those shortly. Then, we'll get in line with the Hollow Point mould. I can't wait!!

Dale53

Irascible
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
FINALLY, the 4 5/8" got here. Just a few days short of 5 months! (The 5 1/2" gun has been in my hands for about 2 months). I ordered a flower carved, 1920 crossdraw from El Paso Saddlery and a set of faux Ivory "Gunfighter" grips from Eagle. It should be a princley package when all the pieces are joined! I just hope it shoots as good as the 5 12" gun.

Dframe
07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I Love the 44 special and applauded Ruger for the effort. The smaller 44 is just SOOOOO much more pleasant to carry and quicker to handle than the magnum. In truth many people who own magnums seldom if ever shoot magnums in them and would be much better served by owning a special. I'm sorry ruger seems to be having some quality control problems.