PDA

View Full Version : Had a problem at the range

Rockchucker
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I was using some of my cast 124 gr boolits with 4.0 grains of 700x (I'm wanting to use it up so I can start on my Unique powders), That's a starting load in the speer Manuel. Whats happening is the second round is jamming my gun with a live round. I had to take the gun home and free the jam. What a bummer.
Today I took some Berry's bullets 115 gr FMJ loaded with 4.2 grains of 700x and 25 rounds cycled perfit . What I'm thinking is the 4.0 grains in my cast boolits was to lite to cycle the 124's. Any thoughts on this sure would be appreciated. Also, I forgot to mention that the cast boolits did bulge the cases a little, but not bad. The gun is a Ruger P-89, 9MM.

Ron

dubber123
03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
My first thought is the boolits are too big. It doesn't take much of a bulge to stick tightly in a chamber. My 625 S&W has tight chambers, and stuff that runs fine in my 1911 won't even start to chamber. Seating and taper crimping in 2 seperate operations cured this for me.

Rockchucker
03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, Although the mfg states the boolit doesn't need to be sized I think it does. I slugged the barrel and .356 is the size, The mold is producing .357 and bulges the case somewhat.

mpmarty
03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
don't size it .357 is perfect for a .356 barrel. How is the pistol jamming? Is there a fired case in the chamber and it tries to feed a live round behind it? Does the fired case eject and the live round not go all the way into the chamber? Do you still have the "jammed" round and have you measured it? too many variables and not enough information.

Kuato
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Do the rounds chamber & cycle by hand with no problem? I had the same issue with one of my 9MMs. turns out the chamber was tight. Sized the boolits to .356 & never had an issue after that. Try cycling the rounds by hand & see if the gun goes into battery & if extraction is sticky..

Rockchucker
03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes I've cycled several rds. Whats happening is the first round fired and ejected the second round got hung up going into the chamber and after I finally got it out the round looked really bulged. I'd post a picture but I already broke all the ammo down into parts. like I said earlier when seating the cast bullets in the cases with a minimum amount of powder(4.0 grains of 700x) I first thought they didn't have enough powder to eject the rounds but the first round did. These bullets came from a TL-356-124 mold with micro groves for tumble lubing. When seating the bullets enough to cover all the groves the acoal was way under whats listed in the speer manuel. Maybe they're seaded to deep???

dubber123
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes I've cycled several rds. Whats happening is the first round fired and ejected the second round got hung up going into the chamber and after I finally got it out the round looked really bulged. I'd post a picture but I already broke all the ammo down into parts. like I said earlier when seating the cast bullets in the cases with a minimum amount of powder(4.0 grains of 700x) I first thought they didn't have enough powder to eject the rounds but the first round did. These bullets came from a TL-356-124 mold with micro groves for tumble lubing. When seating the bullets enough to cover all the groves the acoal was way under whats listed in the speer manuel. Maybe they're seaded to deep???

Seated too deeply is a real possibility. Short cases like the 9mm and 45 ACP taper quickly internally, and just a few thou deeper on seating can cause a bulge.

Cowboy5780
03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I use the same mold for my wifes Ruger P95 i size them go ahead and size them .357 and load them over 4.5 grs of Bullseye any less and it wont cycle with the same problem youre having. I see just a small bulge in the case where the lead is but it dont affect anything. Im using either the Lee Alox or a 50/50 mix of alox and beeswax.