PDA

View Full Version : Hard cast commercial

JudgeBAC
03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Yes, I love my cast boolits more than the cast commercial things they call boolits. But, I have a bunch of .41 commercial cast that I paid ridiculous low prices for and I want to shoot them.

The caliber .41 mag, they are sized .411 and .412 so they fit either my M57 or Ruger Blackhawk. The problem is I get some leading with these boolits. I have boiled off the commercial lube and relubed with 50/50 beeswax alox. This helped some.

What about a coating of LLA by tumble lubing them? Has anyone tried this?

Oh the load is the tried and true 8 grs. Unique.

JW6108
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I've done some Lee 93 grain .32's with LLA lately; this is a non-TL design.

It seems that two tumblings are desirable, based on the amount of lube that's left in the grooves after drying. I also stand them upright to dry to avoid the "puddle edge" that you get when they are left laying on their sides. This minimizes the amount of extra lube that is shaved off when seating, which fouls the inside of the die.

8.0/Unique is a little above a starting load, so it might work for you; just have to try and see. Good luck with it.

Shiloh
03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I have tumble lubed non TL boolits. Not .41 cal though. I've done .452 for the ACP and .358
.38/.357 boolits. No problems, no leading. velocities were on the lower end for target work.

Shiloh

runfiverun
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
i like to find commercial cast.
i can cut them in half with strap weights and make some good boolits from them.