PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of help on this one.

qajaq59
03-08-2009, 07:35 AM
I need to remove the sprue stop pin on the top on my Lyman mold so I can smooth the top of an old die. It has worn so much in the sprue screw corner that the sprue cutter no longer lies flat when I tighten the screw. Does anyone know the best and maybe easiest way to do this?

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I've had them loosen before while casting. Because you want it out, it won't give itself up willingly. With a drill press, you should be able to drill up from the bottom, through the entire mold. Next take a pin punch and drive out the offending pin. Resurface mold, then reinsert pin...Ray

e15cap
03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Try soaking it with penetrating oil and the grab the pin in a vise and see if you can't get it to wiggle out, may have to gently pry with a screwdriver between vise and mold. If it breaks, just drill it out and replace.
Best, Roger

HeavyMetal
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Fasten your seat belt and hang on!

About a month ago I wanted to resurface a mold that had been abused by a previous owner.

I needed to take about .050 off the top to get the boolit base round again!

Mad a few dumb mistakes as it was the first time I'd done this. This was a Saeco mold but the Lymans are most likely done the same way.

I decided I would just mill everthing off as I couldn't get the pin to budge. I had no problem doing that but found out the pin is hardened!

So everytime my cutting tool hit the pin I knew it! In the end I had a flat top and simply redrilled the pin hole for a 1/4 inch pin.

The next one I do I think I will do as RayinNH has already suggested I will drill an 1/8 inch hole through the mold under the pin and then use a hardened transfer punch to drive it out from the bottom.

This won't leave a big hole but will give me access with a strong enough rod to get the pin out. A little Kroil or simalar product applied the night before won't hurt either.

Forget the vise grips and other wiggling idea's all that will do is screw up the pin and you won't be able to reuse it. Yuo will also run the risk of wollowing out the hole and then have the pin drop out as you use the mold!

By driving it out a litlte lock tight or a few will placed punch marks will tighten it back up enough to hold when you reassymble the sprue plate.

Bulletlube
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I have used roll pins as replacements before worked fine for me.

shotman
03-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I have not run into a harden pin in Lyman. Dont know about others. File it off and do milling. I cleaned up 3 with a 16in flat file. Just run across at different angles and then polish on fine stone. Re drill and put a roll pin in.

qajaq59
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys. At least now I know that it can be done. I'll give it a try.

qajaq59
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
A vise, a twist, and a pry with the screwdriver popped it right out easily.
Thanks again.....