PDA

View Full Version : LLA - wipe it off?

22lover
03-07-2009, 04:15 PM
What is the usual practice after seating and crimping the round? Should I wipe off the LLA on the exposed boolit (still a bit sticky I hear), or am I good to go w/no other process? Specifically, I'm loading up 50 rds of 380 tonight as a test w/the Lee 102gr RN (air cooled WW) and 2.8gr Bullseye over Wolf primers. Will be fired out of a Bersa 380 pistola and wondering if the residual LLA will muck up the feed ramp/chamber.

Thanks for all your help!

Bill

mpmarty
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Since the boolits are already in the cases you may wipe them off with a mineral spirit dampened cloth. I normally tumble lube and let dry for a day or two and then shake the boolits around in a paper or plastic bag impregnated with a bit of motor mica. Leaves the lube on but cures the sticky and I believe keeps the feed ramps polished.

22lover
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks. It seems like LLA may not every truly dry...remains tacky to some extent even after 24 hours under a fan and a little judicious hair dryer blowing. Need I worry that some small amount of powder will stick internally to the base of the boolit after they're loaded into the brass?

pstew
03-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I mix in a little Johnson's paste wax when I lube them, they dry up nice

Recluse
03-08-2009, 03:19 AM
I mix in a little Johnson's paste wax when I lube them, they dry up nice

+1.

If you can't get your LLA to dry, chances are good you're using too much. It only takes a very, very small amount.

:coffee:

shotman
03-08-2009, 03:25 AM
If you heat it will dry enough you wont have any problems. I use hot tap water and float bottle in it ,change water and do again. It takes much less. If you stand boolit up on wax paper there wont be any lube[or much] on base

Rockchucker
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Does anyone here thin the LLA with mineral spirits, I thought about doing this in my next lubing session?

Gee_Wizz01
03-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, I thin with Mineral spirits if I get a batch that's too thick. I also warm it, by setting the bottle in very hot water for about 5 minutes. You only need a light coating.

G