PDA

View Full Version : Another noobie stikes up the pot...

mongo-az
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, after much reading, research, etc. I too decided to start casting my own. Simply put, 500 cast bullets at $68 is too much for me. And, being as I cannot buy mass quantities without taking money away from my two girls, I went this route.

I don't shoot more than about 200-250 .45LC rounds in a year, since there's not enough time. So...

I hit the Goodwill and the Walmarts, got the pots, pans, ladles, spoons, etc - hit the 80-year old service station in town and got a 5 gal bucket of good old wheel weights for $20, and started yesterday.

My first error - a hot plate DEFINETLY did not put out enough heat to melt, so I switched to my old Coleman two burner propane camp stove. That did it. I melted them in a heavy steel stock pot with a long handle, skimmed the clips, fluxed it with wax, (boy it's kewl when that wax flashes over in the hot lead) :-D and poured some ingot.

Mistake number two - even though I had beeswaxed the muffin tin - it still stck like sh*t to a blanket. Thank god the good folks at Hormel taught me as a kid to pull open a can of spam with a key - such knowledge stood me in good stead while I proceeded to rip the muffin tin apart and peel it back from the lead ingot.

So I switched over to the 4-pack condiment cups from Wal-Mart for ingot molds. They work great. In no time I was melting a pot full, skimming, fluxing, and making ingots.
http://c.longfellow.home.mchsi.com/ingots.JPG

And, while I had some molten lead, I tried my hand at casting some bullets. After my first half dozen failures I got the mold up to temp and casted 12 beautiful .452 255gr RNFP bullets for my OM Vaquero. I think I'll keep these 12 around as special bullets and not shoot them after I load them - maybe I'll call them "Judge Ruger and his Jury of 12".
http://c.longfellow.home.mchsi.com/boolits.JPG

So, in two weeks, I'll break it back out and try casting bullets in earnest. I'm doing the $3 ladle right now - maybe in a few months I can buy a bottom pour from Lee. For right now - I got the bug.[smilie=1:

snaggdit
03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I have a feeling that 200-250 will end up increasing...

kendall yates
03-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree with you on the stainless steel cups from walmart. They are great. The only problem is both of the stores closest to me cant keep up with demand.

Kenny

Bret4207
03-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Welcome Mongo. Don't hurry to the bottom pour. Millions of near perfect boolits have been ladle poured off a Coleman stove. Consider it the "classic" method!

jnovotny
03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the world of boolit casting, 68.00 bucks for 500 boolits? Thought I'd heard everything.

Rockchucker
03-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Congratulations on the first pour, I'm new also and cast my first batch the other day and had a blast. Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to have a good day.

Ron:Fire: