PDA

View Full Version : Smith Model 36 Question

EMC45
03-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I just got a model 36 no dash from a buddy. Honest holster wear is about it. No abuse. It is a tight gun and locks up solid! Shoots great too! What year did the 36 go to a Dash 1? I can give the first 3 digits of the serial when I get home. Thanks.:-D

missionary5155
03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Good afternoon
That was about 1955 ?? It seems the Target model came out about then and that was a -1.
Nice little revolvers ! Stay away from +P except for Carry. I shoot mine when up there with a 150 grain SWC and 4 grains Unique. For Carry I up that to 5 grains which is not a real +P but with near pure lead will expand readily.
God Bless ya

EMC45
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Actually Missionary, the model nomenclature for Smith Revolvers didn't start until 1957. No harm though Sir. I have Hydra Shoks in +P that I will carry in this gun. Shot some (50) 158gr. RNFP Lee bullets over 3gr. Bullseye with a WSP. Shot great! God Bless you too friend. P.S. Just hit 1000 posts[smilie=p:

Char-Gar
03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Prior to 1957 Smith and Wesson handguns had model names and not model numbers. What became the 36 was the Chief's Special and came out in 1952 (IIRC). In 1957 it became the Model 36 and the first dash (-) did not come until 1967. The 36-1 was a heavy 3" barrel version. There were several internal changes between 57 and 67 but they didn't rate a dash.

Prior to 1957 Smith and Wesson did not have master technical drawings for their pistols. They has a disassembled master sixgun in their vaults. When somebody needed a spec, they went to the vault and measured the part.

That system changed in 1957 when they started making master technial drawings from the master pistols in the vault. They started with the Military and Police, which became the Model 10 and the rest, as they say is history. Some of the change over to Model numbers didn't happen until 1958.

In 1957 they also changed the steel and the heat treatment of their sixguns. And sixguns made after than 1957 change are rated for +P ammo. Earlier pistols won't destruct with +P ammo, but the extra recoil with shorten their service life. Even post-57 J frames won't have the service life of a K frame or a latter L frame as the lighter weight of the J frames gives extra recoil which will take it's toll on the bearing parts of the revolver.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Chief's Special/Model 36. The earlier ones with square butts are much more shootable than the later round butts. The SB gives just enough extra length to the trigger to make them easier to shoot with precision. Although easier to conceal, I pretty much dispise the RB Chief's Special.

I have a 1957 vintage 3" bbl SB Model 36 and a 1960 vintage 3" Colt Detective Special. The Colt is a much, much finer sixgun and gives up very little in terms of size and weight to the Smith. In return for those few extra ounces of the Colt, you get a sixth charge hole and a pistol you can shoot with the same precision as a 4" service revolver.

The above are just the opinions and rantings of an old border sixgun nut.

mtgrs737
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I have had a 36 for 30 years and it is an excellent gun. I shoot wadcutters in mine over 3grs. of Red Dot powder for a pleasant load to shoot. You will be suprised to see how accurate they are at 25 yards if you do your part. I like the Tyler T grip adapter with the standard S&W RB stocks, the quality is excellent on those little guys. Good luck with it.

EMC45
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Cool, thanks for all the replies guys. Mine is a square butt. Someone took and tapped the hammer spur down somewhere down the line. I guess to aid in concealment. I took and broke off the bent portion and it left a small spur with about 2 rows of checkering. Cleaned it up with a file, and threw a little cold blue to it and viola. So no more cracks on the spur and a better profile in concealment.

EMC45
03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/102_2097.jpg

9.3X62AL
03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice little roller, sir. I really like how that hammer spur came out, too.

As Chargar said earlier, I'm also conflicted on S&W J-frames. The square-butt versions DO shoot better for me, but still beg for an aftermarket grip of some kind. Sometimes large paws and small handguns just won't get along.

EMC45
03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks. It is a sweet shooter for sure.