PDA

View Full Version : Friendly forum

royce
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I haven't been on this forum long, but can't believe how helpful everyone has been.
Clodhopper, who as it turns out lives near me has really gone out of his way to help me. I was using wheel weights, and thought that I had to fish the clips out of the molten pot before casting, but Clodhopper explained that the clip was actually the only GOOD part of the wheel weight for cast bullets, and he was even kind enough to go through all my wheelweights, remove the clips for me, and then even dispose of the rest of the wheelweight for me. Even better, he only charged me $2 a pound disposal fee, which he said was half the going rate. He said he had been planning to go to Bismark anyway, so I only had to pay for part of the gas.
Also, I was having a little trouble with leading, so he suggested I should use wheel rims instead of wheel weights, and he sold me some of them, at a dam good price I might add. He has a line on a furnace that will work better for them, so I won't have to hacksaw them into little pieces for my Lee melter.
I can't wait to learn more about this exciting hobby, and meet more helpful people.

Royce

Leadforbrains
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
With friends like that who needs enemies.

lunicy
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow, what a pal. I would have charged you twice that.:-D:-D:-D:-D

dromia
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't let him meet your carer though.

Sprue
03-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Sounds like you're almost there. I think you would be well suited though, to buy my Virtual Cast Iron Ingot molds. They work rather nicely with the steel rims. I do believe that I'm the only on the entire WWW that has these available. I will cut you a Special price that cannot be even closely matched. Please email ASAP for your exclusive pricing. You and you alone will only be quoted such a bargin (only becasue you are new to the site). Hurry, before they're gone!

PS.. I only accept cash

Oh, and Welcome !:Fire:

SharpsShooter
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
He is gonna need some lube grooves guys!! And I just happen to have a spare bottle of windage remover he is welcome to get him going

SS

royce
03-06-2009, 08:02 PM
SharpsShooter
Can I trade you a bottle of parallax that clodhopper sold me for that windage remover? It's top quality, it's so clear it looks like the bottle doesn't have anything in it.
Royce

clodhopper
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Why mess around with rims, just throw that away and fill your pot up with tires.
You have heard of rubber booolits?

royce
03-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Mark
Can't git the Brinnel up high enough on those tires- Besides, can't get the studs to go through the sprue hole.
Fred

royce
03-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Choking up with gratitude here, for all the offers...

Sprue
03-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Good folk here.... BTW I just checked my PM's and I have NO mail. How many times have you left that little pistol behind, thinking that you'll go back tomorrow and pick 'er up only to discover that she's gone... :coffee:

runfiverun
03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
i think ric still has some square lube grooves left, he didn't wanna trade for my sail boat crank starter

clodhopper
03-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Royce.
If you get a stud stuck in the sprue it's obvious that you need to flux the pot.
Here's what you do, Wait until the tire has started to bubble nicley, there should be thick smoke, to get the studs to float to the top try special kitty litter. That's the part stuck to the bottem of the kitty pan. The ammonia in will really open your eyes.

royce
03-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Mark
It's all these little tips that you give me that are, well, just invaluable!
Fred

Buckshot
03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
..............runfiverun, I think Waksupi is out of square lube grooves right now, but is eyebrow high in round bottom grooves, gas check shanks, and wadcutter noses. Since I don't live too far from the Pacific Ocean I asked if he'd be interested in a swap for several bags of sailboat fuel I have, excess to my needs. Apparently it's not his line.

.................Buckshot

walltube
03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Waksupi say it's "loob" grooves, not lube grooves. Propper spelink is impotent.

Gar fish balls are my secret fluxing additive. My neighbors wish I'd keep the secret to myself.

How about it, Royce, Ya wanna buy some gar fish balls? Better yet, how about the whole fish? All you need do is keep the gar calmed down till you get the balls ready for the hot carnauba wax dip. Lanolin is good for hot wax blisters.

Tell us more about tire studs. I didn't know tires could breed.

Be of good cheer,
Wt.

waksupi
03-07-2009, 01:55 AM
There you guys go again, trying to horn in on my loob groove business. And I am NOT out of any of them! They are just back ordered!

rickomatic
03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
I can't believe none of you guys warned royce about smelting tires. Everyone knows that some studded tires from California have zinc in em. Want him to mess up a smelt?

royce
03-07-2009, 07:56 AM
I think the smelting is the hardest part of casting. I went to a dance last week and all the women there told me I smelt funny.
Royce

gon2shoot
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Just a quick note about Ric's loob grooves, be sure to check the size of your loob first.
I got a batch that did'nt fit, now I gotta reorder. :coffeecom

SharpsShooter
03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
SharpsShooter
Can I trade you a bottle of parallax that clodhopper sold me for that windage remover? It's top quality, it's so clear it looks like the bottle doesn't have anything in it.
Royce

That sounds like a possibility. I might even throw in a aresol can of muzzle blast deodorizer. It's industrial strength and gar-an-teed to blow the smell of last nights refried beans plum to the neighbors yard

SS

HABCAN
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Royce, you really should get some of that windage remover from Sharpshooter! It really works! He sold me some cheap, and since I tested it by spraying the whole bottle on my Antelope-hunting Wind Gauge (see details) the gauge has been totally dormant even in our strongest blows.

Antelope-hunting Wind Gauge Bill of Materials:
A large anvil.
10 feet of heavy logging chain.
A full length of drill-stem.

Assembly:
Using a deep-penetration weld, connect the chain to both the pipe and the anvil.
Bury the drill-stem in the ground until only the last 4 feet are showing above grade.

Employment:
When the wind blows, observe the Gauge.

Calibration and reading:
You can best make your own local assessments, but I have found that when the anvil stands straight out from the drill-stem with the chain parallel to the ground, it is too windy to hunt antelope.

Having used Sharpshooter's windage remover on my present set-up I've ruined it except as a 'Garden Sculpture', and I will have the expense of replacing it.

You may take this as a firm endorsement of his product, determined in the field by actual test. I now use it on all my boolits.

royce
03-07-2009, 12:20 PM
HABCAM
Here is my method of gauging wind. How would you rate it in comparison to your wind gauge?
When we get to where we are going to hunt, we stick a rifle barrel out the window. (My old truck still has the vent window, and I have a hole in the cardboard just right for a rifle barrel.)
Listen to two Willie Nelson songs on the eight track player. By that time, if the barrel is bent more than 30 degrees, it's too windy to hunt. Usually, the bend is just about right for lead on a running antelope so we hunt.
Royce

lunicy
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
See what you started Royce:-D

HABCAN
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Gotta admit it, Royce, yer 'gauge' is a lot more portable than mine! Thanks for the tip, especially the part about using the result as a 'running-lead-computer'. That's useful.

hpdrifter
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Lee Custom 6 hole mold,;$70, Lubrisizer;$150, Lee lead pot; $65, friends to aid in the learning process; priceless.