PDA

View Full Version : 9.3 Bullets .366 dia.?

WARD O
03-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Can anyone offer a source for some cast bullets for use in a 9.3x74r? I want something for some lighter fun-shooting loads.

Thanks for any advice,
Ward

Buckshot
03-07-2009, 03:35 AM
..................NEI at: http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html has a couple moulds for the 9.3's. Then there is Dan at Mountain Moulds where you can design your own semi-custom mould. You could also buy the Lyman 35 cal 200 gr mould 358430. It's for a plain based RN. You cast'em and then paper patch them up to the desired size you need. It'd be just about perfect if it's like mine that drops a .360" slug from WW. Patch with 2 wraps of 6 lb paper to get a .367" slug.

...............Buckshot

hornsurgeon
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
i made a lee type sizer to bring 375 down to 368. have yet to shoot them though,.

WARD O
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I had wondered if sizing down 375's would abuse the bullet too much but may give it a try. The patching might be a handy way to try to see if this double rifle will regulate to any degree with lighter loads.

I did find that Huntingtons does sell some cast bullets in .366 and may give them a try also.

Ward

Buckshot
03-10-2009, 02:08 AM
I did find that Huntingtons does sell some cast bullets in .366 and may give them a try also.

Ward

..............Years back I bought some 457125's cast offered by Huntingtons. They were the most disasterous looking examples of Cast Boolitery on the face of the earth, I do believe :-) They were so bad I had to assumed they shipped the wrong box. I got the box of culls and the box of good ones went back into the melting pot.

I'm glad to say that in the intervening years I've never had a need to buy commercial again, but probably would not buy them from Huntington's unless they swore on a stack of bibles they'd take them back and pay the shipping to boot. I'd be afraid those first one's had infected the entire premises.

.............Buckshot

WARD O
03-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Advice noted and I will make other arrangements - I just want to try some light loads in this double rifle and I am concerned it will not print both barrels on the same target with light loads so I am a little reluctant to purchase any moulds.

Advice is still welcome.

Thanks
Ward

NuJudge
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I have a Valmet double in 9.3x74R. I've shot it a lot with the Lyman 366408 using both 2400 and SR4759. You are almost guaranteed that you will have to adjust powder charges up and down, and try alternative powders, and play with seating depths, before you get barrels to print together.

I've had the same experience with jacketed bullets.

Still, I find it to have a lot less recoil that calibers of the same class in bolt-actions.

Bullshop
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I think we have two designs, A 280gn gas check and a 250gn PB.
BIC/BS