PDA

View Full Version : I got a crazy Idea and I want to float it past you guys

kernal_panic
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I size and lube using the lee kit with the TL bullets.

now we all know it works and its fairly quick and easy.

but there is a certain amount of work with it however I still think other than a Star sizer its the fastest method with the least amount of effort.

I have spent this morning doing a brain workout trying to figure out how I could size using the lee equipment faster and easier without giving my left arm a work out grabbing bullets.

and I've got something drawn up and it will take me awhile to fabricate a prototype, patent it, and get production going, provided there is interest.

oh and it would inexpensive, the whole thing less than lyman 4500.

here is the gist without giving it away:

utilizing some low cost existing equipment I have an idea to basically build a reliable bullet fed version of a lee sizer.

you'd sit there and pull the handle up and down, or like I've seen on other genius here hook a motor up to it, and it would feed and size the lee TL bullets at frankly a mad rate.

well would there be any interest in such a contraption?

Doc_Stihl
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if you couldn't use a standard lee bullet feeder?

Setup the fee die and fingers just like you were putting it on a pro 1000 and away you go?

turbo1889
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Me thinks, the Lee bullet sizer die combined with the Lee auto bullet feeder for the Lee progressive presses is what you have in mind. Me thinks, good idea except for plastic feed lips pain in butt only work 75% of time.

kernal_panic
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Me thinks, the Lee bullet sizer die combined with the Lee auto bullet feeder for the Lee progressive presses is what you have in mind. Me thinks, good idea except for plastic feed lips pain in butt only work 75% of time.

well you are warm but I wouldn't be using the lee bullet feed at all. possibly some parts like the tubes, but the rest of it would be custom.

the lee bullet feed has crappy reviews on midway. the fingers break or wear causeing it to drop bullets.

My idea/design the bullets would NEVER drop out of the system.

the lee bullet feed isn't designed to work with bullets being sized its designed for a case coming up and taking the bullet out of the fingers.

again reliability. it won't do anyone any good if it just jams up all the time.

it also will likely require a custom bottom punch but one punch would be useful for several calibers.

mroliver77
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I assume you are still tumble lubing?
J

azrednek
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I think everybody in this group is open to new ideas. If you came up with an improved method I'm sure there would be allot of interest. I'm not sure I would replace my existing equipment but if your system offered a clear and distinct advantage over conventional systems. I would likely buy and try it.

You have nothing to lose by putting it together. If your device does offer some kind of advantage you would be wise to consult a patent attorney. I met somebody back in the 60's that made a fortune by patenting a device for automobiles. Had something to do with the radiator cap on coolant recovery systems. A few years later every US made auto came equipped with a coolant recovery system and all he had to do was sit back and have his attorney negotiate his royalty.

kernal_panic
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I assume you are still tumble lubing?
J

yes. you would still be tumble lubing but the sizing would go much faster.

I'm going to build it for my self but was trying to guage to see if there might be a market for it.

dromia
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
If it works, is reliable and the price is right then there should be a market.

Most of us are in this for the geegaws anyway, boys and their toys 'r' us. :-D