PDA

View Full Version : OH / NO---not this again--06 to 270

gray wolf
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I hate to bring this up because there are OR seem to be so many conflicting opinions----or is it just me making more out of what should be a simple thing.
I have a new Model. 70 2008 limited edition that shoots very, very, well and I am short on 270 cases but I have a supply of 06 brass.
I have been told to just run the 06 brass through a 270 full length die and call it good.
OK I don't want to subject the necks to the expander ball. of the Redding full length die.
The 06 brass comes out about .035 shorter than 270 brass.
Is this a problem ??
I have been told that after converting 06 to 270 you should seat a bullet and measure the diameter of the neck. The diameter of the loaded round neck should be less than the diameter of a fired round neck. This to allow for neck expansion after fire-ring.
Sounds right but how much smaller for a factory chamber ?
Plus anything I have left out that I should know about I/E is it safe or am I spitting into the wind on this ?

This is what I have for 270 dies.

Forester bushing bump die--.303--.302,.301 and .299 bushings.
Redding body die.
Redding type s standard full length die.
Lee 270 collet die.

What do I need to know to be safe and make it work.

Thank you for the help

GW.

:drinks:

:castmine:

felix
03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Use magic marker on loaded case neck. Insert gradually into chamber. Close bolt. Should feel sorta' tight. Take round out very slowly. If there are any scrape marks on the neck, the cases are too fat for the chamber and have to be turned. If there are no marks, and bolt too easy to close, check headspace. ... felix

rockrat
03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I would measure the dia of a loaded round vs. the diameter of the neck of a fired round. Equal or less for the loaded round, you should be good to go. Upon firing the brass in the neck is going to "springback" a bit, maybe a thousandths or two, so if equal, the you should have .001" clearance per side.
Of course, only .001" neck clearance on either side is cutting it a bit close. More like the benchrest boys. You could use the '06 brass and run it thru your sizing die normally, then use your case trimmer and run a .277" reamer down the case neck, then run thru the die again and load. When you first size, your expander ball is probably .274" or so, then the reamer will take off .003-004" off the neck, to give you plenty of clearance.. Used to do that with a tight neck 7/08 when I used 308 cases.

woody1
03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Run 'em thru your resizer, trim just enough to square up the necks, load and shoot. If you're worried about tight necks, load one with a mild load, shoot and if a bullet will slide into the fired case pretty easily, you're OK. Regards, Woody

gray wolf
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
All good advise so far ---thank you, I will keep reading the replys.

GW

Firebricker
03-06-2009, 08:46 PM
gray wolf, I have read in mainstream reload manuals that its not a good idea to reload cases from military specialty rounds but I have 2 coffee cans of brass that has like a small bubble at end of case neck when I run them through FL 270 die the come out nice with neck a little shorter than 270 specs. If some of the guys here that know more about them thinks there safe I could get a can full to you real cheap if you need them. F.B.

nicholst55
03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
IIRC, Jack O'Connor, long-time champion of the .270, was in fact shooting .270-06 for many, many years, since he was necking down GI .30-06 brass. He didn't have all of the fancy equipment that we have today, either.

I'm not saying that forming brass from '06 brass is right, just that it's certainly been (and is likely still being) done.

Boerrancher
03-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a bunch of 270 brass that I would gladly trade for other types of brass. I bet I have close to 400 rounds of the stuff and I don't own a 270. Gray wolf, if you want some send me a PM with what you have to trade and we will work something out.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

gray wolf
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
This is what I have found so far. If I use the redding body die on the 06 cases.
The body die does close the neck a little--just enough to go through the Lee 270 collet die--or the Forester 270 bushing die. The cases come out looking like 270 cases and the necks are .304 in diameter. 270 case necks come out to .303--.001 difference. If I load a bullet in the case the diameter is .305-- a factory
Remington loaded round is .304 to .3045--so it looks like a .001 difference.
With the body die just hitting the shell holder the cases chamber without any
resistance. If I put one layer of masking tape on the back of the case the bolt is tite to close--so it looks like the head space is OK.
I was thinking that ---if a loaded round is the same as a factory round as far as neck thickness shouldn't it have enough clearance in the chamber ??.
I am told that a loaded reworked 06 case neck should be smaller than a fired 270 case for expansion in the chamber. Well like I said above --what if the loaded rounds are the same ( 06 to 270 and Factory 270 ) perhaps .001 bigger.
This is interesting and makes my brain tired.

GW.

woody1
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
--so it looks like the head space is OK. It should be, the headspace dimensions are the same 30-06 and 270.
I was thinking that ---if a loaded round is the same as a factory round as far as neck thickness shouldn't it have enough clearance in the chamber ??. Yes, certainly I am told that a loaded reworked 06 case neck should be smaller than a fired 270 case for expansion in the chamber. Not absolutely, there is some springback of the fired case. Well like I said above --what if the loaded rounds are the same ( 06 to 270 and Factory 270 ) perhaps .001 bigger.
This is interesting and makes my brain tired.

GW. Making me tired too. I know this - I load resized 30-06 cases and shoot 'em in my 270 and have no problem. The resized brass IS a touch short.
Regards, Woody
P.S. Here's what the NRA book Handloading published 1981 says regarding this issue......"Serviceable .270 cases can be formed simply by running .30-06 brass into a .270 full-length resizing die, although the reformed cases are of course somewhat shorter than factory .270 cases." 'nuff sed!